Re: ToriOS ISO considerations

Den 2018-02-03 kl. 00:48, skrev Israel:
On 01/30/2018 12:23 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2018-01-30 kl. 19:15, skrev Israel:
On 01/30/2018 02:55 AM, psutton wrote:

On 27/01/18 13:07, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2018-01-26 kl. 23:21, skrev Israel: ...

Hi Israel,

You should be able to let it boot into a text screen, where you can
use a dialog text menu for the alternatives. One alternative can be to
run startx (providing the necessary program packages are installed.

See for example this link (scroll down and you will find some dialog
menus),

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS/stable-alternative

Hi all,

My testing of this text-mode-menu has not gone extremely well.  But I
have been using the time to consolidate OBI code further into more
common functions which provide more error checking, and logging.  I have
used some of the code from ISOmaker (which is well tested and I have
used countless times, and improved over time) to re-implement things
that I had done in OBI in an earlier time when my understanding of the
chroot and shell scripting was much less than it is now.

So currently I am refining OBI further.  Nio, if you want to send me a
simple way you boot into a terminal logged in, and then launch x on the
appropriate tty I would appreciate your added input here.  I have done
these things in a few ways, but do not have a completely adequate
solution in place (so I have reverted to starting X by default)

Once I have tweaked the last bits (I have been testing and tweaking the
code a lot recently) to fully adapt things, and make sure everything is
using the new functions properly I will upload the ISO.

Sorry this has taken so long, but I've needed to do this for a while, to
make OBI more stable.  I have found various areas where there were bugs
hidden by a lack of error checking.

I am explicitly sending more variables to functions to avoid strange
bleed over stuff...

I will keep you all posted

Hi Israel,

I think the crucial step is autologin. You can try according to the following links,

the method I think I used

https://blog.shvetsov.com/2010/09/auto-login-ubuntu-user-from-cli.html
---
To auto login user "bob" on first console terminal (tty1) edit file /etc/init/tty1.conf and replace last line:

exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1

with this:

exec /bin/login -f bob < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1
---

I found second alternative (the accepted answer at)

https://askubuntu.com/questions/175248/how-to-autologin-without-entering-username-and-passwordin-text-mode

But there might be a problem, because I used this method when booting with 'init', and it might not work with systemd.

I found this link, claimed to work with Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, which uses systemd (but I have not tested it),

https://askubuntu.com/questions/819117/autologin-at-startup-to-ubuntu-server-16-04-1-lts

See the accepted answer.
---
Try this:

Create the folder: /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d

Create the file: /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/override.conf

Open the file with your favorite editor and add this:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noissue --autologin myusername %I $TERM
Type=idle

Replace myusername by your user name.
---

-o-

I think starting X with startx is straight-forward even with systemd.

It should be enough with the program packages

xinit fluxbox xterm

(you would replace fluxbox with some JWM package(s) ...).