Re: [Torios] ToriOS 2.0 background

Hi Jack,

*Only the tarball on USB and the rest of the Live iso file on a CD*

The other alternative (with a big iso file including a tarball) works on DVD and USB pendrives and memory cards (that are big enough).

Den 2018-04-12 kl. 17:05, skrev Cinque Port Computers:
HI Israel et al,

Can you clarify for me:  when you have mentioned storing a tarball on a USB stick for installation, are you talking about having the whole iso file including the tarball on the USB stick, or just the tarball on USB and the rest of the Live iso file on a CD?

Thanks,
Jack
*From:* Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx>
*Sent:* 12 April 2018 1:16 PM
*To:* Nio Wiklund; Cinque Port Computers; torios- dev; torios
*Cc:* Jack D. Trice
*Subject:* Re: [Torios] [Torios-dev] ToriOS 2.0 background
Hi everyone
(inlines)
On 04/12/2018 05:05 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Hi Jack and everybody else,

Answer/comment inline

Den 2018-04-12 kl. 10:21, skrev Cinque Port Computers:
Hi Israel, Nico,

1) I have no opinion one way or the other about the suggested
wallpapers; I'm not very good at judging what is artistically
pleasing one way or the other; although I will just say that a
refreshed wallpaper maybe a good idea over the one we've had for a
long while now.

I agree.
Sounds like a consensus.  It is a good idea also because I shrunk the
current image in size and now we have 3, rather than one, so I say lets
do it.  We really probably have room for more too, so if we decide to do
it again, I think one more can fit within the size of our old one.

2) Is it absolutely a requirement to still now produce a CD-sized
iso?  If it still is, then can the tarball be removed and downloaded
at install time?  Just a thought.

I am not sure, if there are still people who use (or intend to use)
ToriOS in computers that must be booted from CD. I think such
computers are 15 years old.

I agree with that.
I do think to avoid feature creep, etc... it is a great idea to continue
to try to get it close to CD size.
Plus we also want to take into account people with bad internet
connections and costly ones as well.
The less bandwidth we take the better!
It is possible to download the tarball at install time.

It absolutely is, you can also install from a tarball on an external USB
But there should also be a bigger iso file with the tarball included.
It should be smaller than 1.8 GB with some margin for undersized 2 GB
pendrives (10-based gigabytes).

I hope to keep it at 1 GiB as the max (and much smaller than that)