Re: Progress...

On 09/14/2018 02:34 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I will try and update the manual at some point with the new information,
>  if we are removing GTK does this mean most of the apps are going to go,
>  i am guessing we are doing this in order to reduce space or resource usage.
>
> Paul
Yeah, sorry Paul, it is a lot of work for everyone.
It is to address 2 major issues.
1. size/speed/features
  the FLTK apps I am making are considerably smaller and generally run
faster than their counter parts.  If they do not run faster, it is
simply because they have tons more features... for example, the text
editor Xedit is really hard to use, and relies on older console based
text editor familiarity, most modern text editors (leafpad, mousepad,
pluma, etc...) have a different type of interface, and support a bunch
of modern features.  I am trying to fully accomplish this in our text
editor (flpad is the name of it)

2 aesthetics
  There was a valid complaint about our distro on distrowatch (see Ali's
previous e-mail and read the distrowatch rating page).  This is that all
the apps look really different.  For example, xedit looks nothing
like... well anything else, and doesn't fit in well with anything, and
the calculator has the same problem (as well as all the other apps)  so
to make everything use the same visual style (in FLTK) using the FLTK
human interface guidelines (which I have been trying to adhere to) to
make things easy and intuitive is our goal.

Our motto is KISS, right?  We want ToriOS to be easier to use than LXDE,
as well as faster, and more lightweight.  We want to support all the old
hardware we can, and also to allow new hardware to use it (at some point
when we use another installer that supports UEFI for 64bit).

So please wait until things are more finalized (i.e. I have an ISO built
for you to test).  I will link you to the screenshots of the new apps
when I get everything to a place I am pleased with.