Re: i386 and Ubuntu moving forward (PPA)

On 08/07/2019 17:21, Israel wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Recently Ubuntu made the decision to drop i386 from future releases, and
> then backed up a bit.  This means that soon (or maybe even in the eoan
> ermine... the next release) we will not be able to build/host i386
> packages.  So... we either need to create our own repo, and build the
> packages there, or something else.
>
> Best option:
>
> Get our packages into Debian (this seems next to impossible, as I have
> tried for years to get a package into Debian...).  We would need someone
> in Debian to help us, so if anyone has any good ideas on how to get
> things into Debian, please let me know... I have tried the regular
> RFP/ITP stuff but to no avail.
>
> Worst option:
>
> Build a different operating system based on something else... perhaps a
> woof (that is what they call respins) of Puppy, or something.  I think
> Puppy is the best option here for us, because they already do a lot of
> similar things, and support similar hardware, and are able to decrease
> the package sizes dramatically (removing the cruft so to speak).
>
> Other options:
>
> Manually build and upload to PPA all libraries and programs.... lots of
> work...
>
> Please list some others, I am not sure what to do.

Contributing to Debian, involves complying with a lot of things to keep
the system stable, secure and safe.  Granted this means that Debian is
not the latest with everything but it IS rock solid (or should be).

I know the Debian mentors list can help with packaging but that is for
Debian,  not sure they will appreciate giving their time on mentoring
package building and then for us to just put stuff in to ToriOS.

So is what we want to do is to be able to push our custom packages to
Debian so that the ToriOS system can pull in components from the Debian
repositories.

I can ask,  but I think ultimately all free software projects are ( or
seem to be ) struggling for volunteers or people to just get involved so
it just falls on the same overstretched people, life gets in the way too
as you well know.

Not sure on the best solution but if the next version of ToriOS is going
to be based on Bullseye then I guess we are aligning with sid for the
development process.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton