Re: (Was) website test - General communication and roles

Hi Ali,

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 01:12:36 +0400
Ali Linx <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Of course I wasn't trying to be pain on anyone's neck, I was just trying
> to express my personal opinion but it seems I overdid it?! :P

Ali, you expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. This I guess is what you asked for,
that's to say: an open community where all can say something, as long as we all go in the
same direction, which is creating a project that will work and have some value. Right? :)

Which means that you were right to say what you thought you should. Now I have said what
I did think I should and I hope that has brought a new lightening to you.

> I will say no more then - mouth sealed. (how long does it take to be
> silent? I can't wait ... I need to talk .. help :P heheh).

Of course you can talk! Isn't it what you did which precisely gathered a group of people
wanting this project to come to life?

> However, I still insist that WE MUST focus on Priorities and do things
> the right way.

There are two ways of dealing with priorities (or even more ways than 2): start with the
most hurrying… continue with the easiest… and change the numbers in the priority list!
The other ways probably come to understanding while our experience increases. :)

As a conclusion to this I will add, that what is done is not to be done again! ;-)

> I will keep nagging Rafael ;)

All who know people who are good at artworks are welcome to bring them in!!! The word is
given!

> I am the one who must thank you all. I have done nothing special yet :D

Your main role is probably in the new title of this topic: you have made your natural
gift for communication do it's magic for this project and have gathered several people
who are interested by the idea of the project, have confidence in your ability to make
it happen, and have valuable skills. Each of us, you, I, and them need all the others to
make it come to life.

You also know very well how all the corners of Launchpad work and can be used to develop
the communication around the project.

Could you please add two things to the list already published there, related to roles, and
related to priority programs needed?

In the list of needed programs and in the announcement of the project and goals:
I will please you _to remove_ your wish to use _Ubuntu Mini ISO_ as a basis. Instead, I
will request you to replace it with words such as "ToriOS will be built starting from a
minimal basis as small and clean as possible, and eventually very close to Ubuntu From
Scratch method". Or something of the kind.

The reason, is that Ubuntu Mini ISO can't be used for a basis for any customized Ubuntu
version, because it was built to be the equivalent of a Debian netinstall ISO. It does
not contain the necessary packages to be a basis. The initrd in the ISO itself is not fit
for this purpose.

I explain what an initrd is for the ones who would not know: it is a small filesystem
which is meant to boot the rest of the system (there are some of the drivers, and other
types of files). When we press the power button to fire the machine, the BIOS or EFI comes
first, gives the hand to the bootloader, which in return gives the hand to the linux
image (the kernel) which in return starts the mini filesystem which is in the initrd.

Another way of doing it could have been firing the filesystem directly with the linux
image. Some time ago, the people compiling themselves their kernels used to make it so.

Now about the Ubuntu Mini ISO, I did exactly this mistake when I started to fiddle with
learning how to make a custom Ubuntu ISO. I first tried to remix by using the Mini ISO
as a basis. This failed immediatly, so I went to the IRC chans and asked about what I did
wrong? Some told me what I just explained: Mini ISO = netinstall ; Mini ISO ≠ basis to
build custom isos.

Once this said I have been told to use Ubuntu Mini Remix instead, which I did
since with continuous success. (I will soon start a new topic to develop on that part, and
explain what tools have been used so far while I have been producing some custom versions
on top of the Ubuntu Mini Remix iso).

About roles:
as leader/driver for the development of the project I would like to be helped by two
persons.

We need 1 person who knows how to package for Debian and for Ubuntu, because
a few more packages would be nice to have (I'll develop about it directly with someone
volunteering to package);

And we need 1 person who knows how to write code to make a gui tool as light as possible
to gather the configurations for the desktop, and even if possible add new tools which
aren't yet available.

It should be done in a language which doesn't need to add programs to the system (no
Gambas for instance), and preferably in a compiled language, which will allow the tool to
be light on resource when started. It should be almost standalone, and not need
many depends... :)

Thanks, best regards, and good week-end to all!
Mélodie

--

Linuxvillage
http://linuxvillage.org/