Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

2014-05-22 19:49, "Jörn Schönyan" skrev:
> Hello everyone, I have only some minutes and make it short.
> Am Donnerstag, 22. Mai 2014, 15:15:56 schrieb Ali Linx:
>> Hola amigos,
>>
>> 3- ToriOS will be released every 12 months NOT every 6 months like
>> Ubuntu - new idea.
> I think it shouldn't be a big problem to rebuild the iso every 6 months
> a.k.a.
> the point releases. But that is a minor issue.
>> 4- ToriOS 1.0 is based on 12.04 LTS - we have discussed that before but
>> didn't yet 100% agree on.
>> 5- ToriOS 2.0 will be based on 14.04 LTS
> +14.04, we will have to package a lot of stuff soon enough. 12.04 we
> have to
> package a lot more.
>> 6- nm-manager should not be used as far as I have read so far from
>> different people all of them confirmed the big RAM eater is nm-manager.
> We can make autostart of NetworkManager optional, I think. Most machines we
> target shouldn't have Wifi, so everything is okay.
>> 9- 60MB or 50MB? don't want to kill ourselves but if we could do that,
>> why not? I guess you know what I'm talking about
> The result of my testing iso was 70-80 MB, but with a file manager
> (SpaceFM),
> nm-applet, xterm+htop. I'll try to replace SpaceFM with Rox, so we
> should be
> at least under 70 MB. We will see what happens then.
>> 10- Have we thought about the ISO size? any idea how big will it be?
>> around 300MB? 400MB? less or more? AFAIK, it should never reach say
>> 600MB, right?
> Again, my testing iso as reference: it was ~500MB big, something like
> 3,5 GB
> installed. But it was compressed with xz+bs=1M, that is a "slow"
> compression
> with good compression ratio. Maybe it should fall back to the "normal"
> compression, mainly because it's faster? But cd size would be the limit.
>> 15- I know it is hard to tell at this point but any idea when ToriOS 1.0
>> will be available to download and use? I know I'm the one who should
>> announce that but if truth to be told, it is something that our devs
>> should advise for and we haven't yet done anything serious.
> Too big ambitions, but the first point release of 14.04 would be nice.
> 16- Do we have a Github repo, so I can share the script that I used to
> create
> the testing iso? It's based on a script from the Ubuntu GNOME-team, so
> no big
> magic. But it's working fine.
>>
>> Thank you!
> Thank you, too!

Hi Jörn and Ali,

I would like to start testing how to make an OBI-9w install iso file for
ToriOS.

@Ali: Is it OK with the ToriOS community, that I get an image of the
current version of ToriOS.

@Jörn: Would you be able to upload a compressed image of the current
ToriOS, so that I can start testing it with the OBI-9w installer?

I mean, you can make a dd image compressed with gzip or xz, or a
Clonezilla image (a directory with several files) if the system is in a
fairly small drive, for example a 32 GB pendrive or smaller. It might be
more convenient and independent of the drive size and partition size
with a compressed tarball or other file archive that preserves the
permissions of files and directories. Of course it is OK with an iso
file too, if the iso file can be used to create a working ToriOS system.

I think you can use Phill's server and just give the uploaded image read
permissions for 'others' and let me know the path and filename. Then I
would be able to fetch it and it will not be public (assuming it is too
early for publishing).