Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

2014-05-27 15:30, Israel skrev:
> On 05/27/2014 07:04 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>
>> Right now the OBI-9w 222 MB (10 base), 211 Mibibytes (2 base alias 1024
>> base). But it contains a lot of utilities and software, that are not
>> necessary, for example a web browser and several small tools, that can
>> be peeled off, if necessary to keep it within CD size with a fairly
>> large tarball. Say that the tarball can be 500 MB. Then the total size
>> will be 722 MB (10 base), 688 Mibibytes (2 base)
>>
>> According to
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM
>>
>> a '700 MB CD disk' can store 737.280 MB (10 base), 703.125 Mibibytes (2
>> base).
>>
>> So without doing anything with the OBI-9w itself, the limit for the
>> tarball is 515 MB (10 base), 491 Mibibytes (2 base). I don't know if
>> some storage space is lost due to overhead data.
>>
>> The tarball can be a bit smaller than the corresponding iso file,
>> depending on the amount of data, that are specific for the live session
>> and on the compression method.
>
> I think we can do it if we include only minimal things.  Even Lubuntu
> comes with extra things that aren't needed.
>
> We can surely leave off an e-mail program, and only offer to install it
> afterwards.  A lot of people use the web browser
> for virtually everything.  Technically a web browser can watch movies,
> play music, browse your filesystem, view images,
> (and lots more)  even offline.  I think this will be the important app
> to keep on it.

I agree

>> lubuntu-core and lubuntu-desktop are meta packages, that make it easy to
>> install a group of packages with one command.
>>
>> It is possible to use meta-packages or just a command line or script
>> file to install groups of packages for different user profiles, for example
>>
>> multimedia, office, gaming
>> ultra-light, medium-light
>> desktop, laptop, netbook
>>
>> The advantage is that the installer will be flexible, the disadvantage
>> is that it will need internet and downloading to make each installation
>> complete.
> I think this is a good idea.  We can host a PPA for testing, once it is
> decided what programs to use, etc...
> Maybe even get a 'jwm-desktop' or 'torios-desktop' package in the
> official repos one day :)

Hi Israel and all other ToriOSes,

Yes, it is a good idea with a 'jwm-desktop' or 'torios-desktop' package
in the official repos one day. It will provide support to the really old
and or weak computers, when the other flavours of Ubuntu are heading
forward and gradually will need more horsepower and memory.

-o-

Try the newest version of the OBI-9w installer, made yesterday and
uploaded today. It is not in the wiki manual yet, and I think I want to
improve the menu before making it really public. But I think it is
relevant for our discussion about ToriOS, because it has a kind of text
based menu in the installed Ubuntu mini.iso system, that offers some
typical post-installation meta packages

Lubuntu Core
Lubuntu standard
Xubuntu standard

and menu entries for

update & dist-upgrade
cleaning

See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/9w

and download this link *the txt3 iso file*

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9w/obi_Trusty-npae124-txt3-9w.iso

This method with typical post-installation meta packages can be extended
easily and made convenient for the end user.

See the attached picture, made in my workstation with way too much
memory for these light-weight systems, but anyway, it shows what the
choice menu can look like in text mode in the final system, before a
graphical desktop environment is installed.

-o-

I can understand that you may want to have more control over the look
and feel of ToriOS, and want a basic graphical desktop environment. But
you can keep the concept of a window with a menu with alternative meta
packages and other useful menu entries. You can also have desktop file
'meta_packages.desktop' offering such a menu.