Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

2014-05-28 21:18, Jörn Schönyan skrev:
> Am Mittwoch, 28. Mai 2014, 21:10:30 schrieben Sie:

>>> Hi Nio, if you have any questions feel free to ask :D
>>>
>>> I forgot to mention, for me it takes 1-2 hours to remaster the iso (Core
>>> i5, third generation with 8GB RAM).
>>>
>>> Regards, Jörn
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1. Will this system stay within its directory tree, or will things go
>> outside it? In other words, should I do it in a separate OS (in a
>> multi-boot computer, or can it be done in a general purpose OS?
> Yes, it will. You can make a directory "ToriOS", place the uncompressed files
> and the original Ubuntu iso in it and run the command an everything will stay
> in that folder.
>> 2. Is there any manual intervention when running the scripts? Or should
>> I prepare everything before starting it, and it runs until finish as a
>> batch job?
> In a clean environment everything works automatically. So just don't forget
>
> sh live-cd-script.sh clean i386
>
> if you want to retry. Just to mention, you need to be root for everything the
> script does. You also need to install squashfs-tools, genisoimage, debootstrap
> and lzma (if I didn't forget anything). I am also running it on my normal
> production machine.
>> Best regards
>> Nio

Hi Jörn,

I was able to make a working ToriOS iso file according to your scripts
and instructions. They were complete :-)

I made the iso file into a hybrid iso file, so that I can boot it from
USB as well as from CD/DVD.

The size of the isofile is 498 Mibibytes and
the size of the tarball is 343 Mibibytes.

Of course ToriOS is at the alpha stage, but it is working live and
installed. I took some notes during the first testing (with Swedish
locale), but I have reinstalled into English, and right now I am
creating a tarball for the OBI-9w installer ... done.

The size of the isofile is 498 Mibibytes and
the size of the tarball is 343 Mibibytes.

When I have made an OBI-9w iso file and it has passed my tests, I will
upload the iso files for testing. I hope many of you are prepared to
test them at least in VirtualBox and compare how they work with low RAM.

----- Notes -----

Testing in my computer 'April-2008' with

ASUS M2N-VM motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2.3 GHz (dual core)
RAM 2 GB DIMM DDR2 800 MHz
onbord nvidia graphics (geforce 7050 PV / nforce 630a), running
well with nouveau

Waiting for network configuration (at the Ubuntu Plymouth screen)
Booting without full network configuration (after 2 minutes)

JWM desktop with black background and panel at the bottom

free -m: 103 MB (in the live session)

I could run gparted an repartition a drive ...

Next time (after reboot) I did not press on the keyboard, and this
time the installer booted into a panel with a debian background and
the choice to test or install ToriOS. I started to install (with the
graphical 'desktop' installer).

The installation finished nicely ...

Next time (after reboot) I booted into the installed system, which
still waits and then boots without full network configuration
(after 2 minutes).

A log in screen and then the JWM desktop with black background and
panel at the bottom. No background picture in the installed system.

free -m: 90 MB (at the first boot in the installed system)

uname -r shows that it runs the 3.13.0.27-generic kernel (which is
a pae kernel).

df -h . shows that 1.7 GB is used (I selected Swedish).

Next time (after reboot) I booted into the installed system
free -m: 88 MB

Next time, the third boot of the installed system
free -m: 87 MB.

Compare the RAM usage idling after log in with the results in this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/9w/RAM_%26_disk_usage