Re: [Important] ToriOS 32 vs ToriOS 64

Hi all,
(inline  and removed a lot of text)
On 08/12/2014 04:25 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> [replying inline]
> Best regards/Nio
>
> If the internet connection is bad, it is also bad to download the iso
> file / image file. Would it be possible to distribute a DVD with
> packages? Who and how many people would want it?
I mean simply that some people do not have internet all the time.
They may want to download everything on one day, and then they are stuck
with our documentation and our programs.

This may not be common, but since the computers we target are older, I'd
like to have the possibility of targeting limited access to internet for
those use cases (since Ali has talked about making a fuller version with
other packages)

>> Since this is based on Ubuntu it will have the largest support from the
>> non-linux world (though rpm is fairly close as well), and there are
>> thousands of sites to help users with any number of issues.
>>
>> We can also make a
>> torios-desktop package that installs all the extra stuff.  So, when you
>> are in a chroot (based on Ubuntu) you can add a PPA, and build your
>> image with just the torios-core.  Then you can go back into your chroot
>> install the desktop package and build a second image with not much extra
>> effort.
>>
>> The 2 barriers I am facing are:
>> *1)* 12.04 does not want to build my package (I am working on this..
>> trying to find out what is different in cmake 2.8.7 versus 2.8.12)
>>
>> *2)* OBI has to be run on a real computer with a USB to make the image
>> (though Nio has said it can run from a certain Virtual Machine program..
>> was it VMWare?)
> The standard OBI boots from USB (normally) but can boot from any mass
> storage device, also from an internal HDD (or virtual disk).
> KVM-VirtManager can boot from USB, VirtualBox can boot from a (second)
> virtual disk.
>
> But we can make an OBI-9w installer, which can boot also from CD, so
> that it can be booted from the iso file by 'any' virtual machine program.
Right... this is what we are going for isn't it... but can OBI work on a CD?
This is (I think) an issue to address, since OBI clones and image, and
doesn't install the live version, right... so the size is increased by
300MB or so?  Is this right?

>> I can build the 14.04 image within a few days, and release an ISO...
>> however the 12.04 image will take me a bit of time to pick through my
>> build logs, and read the 2.8.7 documentation to find out what is missing
>> (or what works differently).
> Do you need an iso for 12.04, or can it be OK with a compressed image of
> an installed system, that is installed via the OBI or the OBI-9w?
I was going to work on both... since I am making an Ubuntu chroot to act
as the live image, I was going to build an OBI and if need be make an
alternate version that can fit on a CD, though I hope OBI can fit on a
CD with the compressed image