Re: Locale Chooser

Hi Nio,
This should be much more satisfactory script to test..

(inline)
On 09/15/2014 09:36 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> Hi Israel,
>
> I did this in the live session:
>
> Selected se (Swedish). It asked if I wanted to install the language pack.
>
> I replied yes, and it did something but got stuck with the small window
> open 'Installing' with the progress bar white and the OK button
> selected. I could click the window away with the x button at the top
> right corner, but not with any of the big buttons.
I am sorry about this... I forgot the -y in the apt-get install
command.  I did not test this before I sent it :(

> Something was running for some seconds after I closed the window, and
> then the xterm window went to prompt.
>
> The menu is still in English ...
>
> Then I tried with de (German), but it did not work either.
>
> Is it expected to be slow? There is no feedback, it just seems to get
> stuck. I had some error output that made me run
It was supposed to download the language pack, but I forgot the -y flag
for apt-get install... so I am not sure what it was doing other than
waiting for yes, which couldn't come...
I have since tested it, and update is not needed normally
> sudo apt-get update
>
> Then the script reached one step further and seemed to finish properly
> with Swedish.
>
> The menu is still in English ... before and after logout - login
>
> I ran
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> and after that I could get German (but not Swedish) menu text. I still
> have to run
>
> setxkbmap to change also the keyboard,
>
> setxkbmap se
> setxkbmap de
I haven't worked out completely what to send to setxkbmap...
I think I need to take
the locales installed
EXAMPLE:
de_AT.utf8
de_BE.utf8
de_CH.utf8
de_DE.utf8
de_LI.utf8
de_LU.utf8

So  I choose the first one de_AT.utf8
VAR=de_AT.utf8
KB=${VAR%%.*}
KB=${KB##*_}
KB=$(echo $KB | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]')
echo $KB
(basically lines 53-56 in this script)

So does it make sense to
setxkbmap at