Re: Testing PC OBI

Hi Nio
On 09/22/2014 07:49 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Please describe the problem with more details!
> I'll try to find out if it a problem with the OBI or with the operating
> system.
>
> Normally grub does not care if there is a boot flag.
>
> How did you install the system and the OBI? If you use mkusb, it will
> overwrite everything in the beginning of the drive, so it should make no
> difference if there is a boot flag or not. If you use Unetbootin or the
> Startup Disk Creator, things may be different.
I burned a CD using brasero to make the ToriOS cd.
Then I went through the OBI steps.
I had earlier partitioned the computer with something like
33 gig ext4
6 gig ext2 (puppy) I set this drive to have a bootable flag
1 gig swap

Then when installing, the installer just died while trying to install grub.
There were a lot of messages about malloc() and other memory-type errors.
So I rebooted into the LiveCD again, used gparted to repartition the
whole drive as ext4 with a bootable flag, and it worked just fine.
I wonder if this has to do with me setting the ext2 (second partition)
as having a bootable flag?

I like to do abnormal things to computers and programs, so I am fairly
adept at finding issues that very few people will encounter :)
I will try to reproduce this issue again, and report it more
throughly...  I will try to redirect stderr to a file when I run it....
unless you have an error logger built into it?