Re: the Xsession is the issue(Was: Last update today :P)

(-: ***** Yes ***** :-)

> I was thinking the way the session starts was the issue.  Basically
> starttorios uses a bunch of files that take the place of /etc/skel so
> the user's Home doesn't need to have those things.  Of course if the
> home has an .xinitrc (etc...) it will use the home version.
>
> I have made a recent commit to the config package, and will need to test
> it out.  I think we are all working on the same thing... how to start
> ToriOS in a way that starts whatever is needed to start ToriOS :P
>
> starttoriOS by starting starttoriOS  it is almost like GNU is Not Unix  :)
>
> I am not entirely sure if this will work fully... :)  However... I would
> like to think these endless mind-bending hours of looking at lightdm
> code, and startxfce4 and startlubuntu (or whatever it is called) have
> produced something useable.  I know this script is a LOT better than
> just trying to run JWM from SLiM.  And it is better than having to use a
> bunch of stuff in the user's $HOME in order for things to work, and
> breaking if it isn't there.
>
> This new iteration should also make sure the user has menus and that
> they are up to date.
>
> Thanks SO MUCH TESTERS!!!  You two are indespensible!!!  This confirms
> my suspicions and also confirms that I was right to work on this whole
> starttorios file.  The old version has errors in it, and prostarttoriosblems...
> This new version doesn't have errors (well... it doesn't have serious
> shellcheck errors... just the "yeah yeah I know... it is supposed to be
> like that" kind)
>
> So the new version will be
> torios-core (0.83.1ubuntu5)
> All the sub-packages have the same version number.  so... torios-desktop
> and live will both have the 0.83.1ubuntu5-0ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.1 at the end
> eventually I will need to clean up the recipe versioning numbers...
>
> Anyhow... once this is built can you update Nio/Jack and try using ONLY
> starttorios instead of the fluxbox method.
> I *think* this should get us pretty close to fixing it... if not... I
> will look into some more things...
> If SLiM is the issue we will have to go back to something else... maybe
> a simple dialog program?  isn't there a dialog display manager somewhere?
>
> Anyhow... I will look more into your work soon...  I am downloading it
> now.  I will just use the ToriOS live system to boot it, so I don't
> download two things from Phill and use his bandwidth heavily... I also
> need to finish fixing up OBI as well... which I may have done... I don't
> remember I have been going back and forth between so many things :)
>
> C++ then Bash, then reading someone else's python code then C then ( you
> understand)
>
> P.S. happy new year!

Hi Israel,

After all testing and tweaking, when I finally had it working, I did not
retry

starttorios

You made me do it now, and it works without the detour via Fluxbox and
without any updates (I tried directly when reading your reply),
nm-applet starts and is doing its things properly.

So we are getting closer to a solution :-)