Re: ToriOS-alpha-rc2.iso testing

On 01/02/2015 03:38 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-01-02 22:18, George DiceGeorge skrev:
>> OBI said:
>> [
>> When you run this installer, a new operating system will be installed,
>> AND
>> the device will be formatted and
>> ***** COMPLETELY OVERWRITTEN ******]
>>
>> so I aborted the install.
>>
>> But now youre saying that there will be an option to run gparted manually
>> like ubuntus have  had for years...
>>
>> Good.
>>
>> Maybe I'll wait for the next version and try again,
>> i want something that i can start using on all my pcs.
>> And I want to help with torios user interface,
>> not programming.
>>
>> [george]
> Hi George!
>
> Installing operating systems is always risky, and I think it is
> important to tell people what is going to happen. If they are not very
> careful and install to the correct drive or partition, there may be a
> disaster. Too many people cry for help at the Ubuntu Forums because they
> have overwritten their Windows and their not-yet-backed-up personal
> documents.
>
> If you want to help us test ToriOS during this development phase, you
> are very welcome. But if you want to wait for the next version, the beta
> release, you are very welcome too :-)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi George,
You can already install using gparted in that version of OBI... though
that version of OBI has some issues that have since been solved.  I am
not entirely sure if it will work reliably.  You should try testing it
first in virtualbox.
However, as Nio said,
installing an OS is always risky.  You should ALWAYS keep a backup of
important documents.

Feel free to avoid programming, we definitely need testers that are not
programmers.  It is key to helping us programmers make something
non-programmers can use easily.
If I write a brilliant program one day, and no one can figure out how to
use it... it isn't very brilliant at all.  Now if I write a simple, easy
to use program even if it only does a few things... it is much better.
Thanks for being willing to test our OS!!  We will probably relase the
Beta soon.
I have found a few bugs in the newest xinitrc script (programming stuff
sorry) but I have also found the way to fix it, and will update it soon!

-Israel
ToriOS Team