Re: zmktbl improvements(Was: Re: [Torio s] zsync time)

On 04/21/2015 01:13 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-04-21 18:41, Israel skrev:
>>> Hi all toriosadores,
>>>
>>> I need some feedback now. There is an updated version of zMktbl, the GUI
>>> tarball maker, which uses dialog to select the source partition
>>> (actually re-using a program part from the OBI.
>>>
>>> I am also looking into making a new version, which uses zenity to select
>>> the source partition. I think there are advantages and draw-backs of
>>> both versions.
>>>
>>> 1 - Which one do you prefer - the dialog version or the zenity version?
>>>
>>> 2 - If you prefer the zenity version, should we limit the selection of
>>> partitions to ext partitions in tarball maker mode? (For obvious reasons
>>> it should not be limited in installer mode, because we might want to
>>> re-use a Windows partition.)
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>>>
>> Hi Nio,
>> I preferr the Zenity version, as it arranges the items more coherently
>> (as you know).
>> If of course the Dialog version can mimic this as well then both would
>> be just fine, and it might be good to use a dialog version for OBI
>> (unless you are intending to use zenity for OBI... but that is a huge
>> project), and you do have a console-only version using dialog.  But the
>> zenity discussion for OBI is a long an hard process... and not for
>> ToriOS 1.0 :)
>>
>> So, my answer is BOTH.  The zenity version fits better with zmktbl, and
>> the dialog version with OBI.  you could add something in, like
>>
>> if [ "$3" == "zmktbl" ]
>> then
>> use_zenity=true
>> fi
>>
>> and down around line 322(ish)
>> have something like
>>
>> if  [ "$use_zenity" == true ]
>> then
>> ans=$(zenity #whatever#)
>> else
>> ans=$(dialog #whatever#)
>> fi
>>
> Thanks for the feedback Israel :-)
>
> *Now let us hope that someone else will also reply* If not, I'm prepared
> to go along your suggested path, 'both'.
>
> What about Q2: If you prefer the zenity version, should we limit the
> selection of partitions to ext partitions in tarball maker mode? And in
> that case, should we include some other linux filesystem?
>
> Best regards
> Nio
Hi Nio,
can we not write to the Windows partition?  I don't fully understand why
we would *not* want to write to it.  If it is a separate /dev/sdX it
should be fine to write to, but we cannot write to the /dev/sdX we are
copying.  That is the only real limitation I see.  But if you have
really good reasoning that I am missing (I dislike using windows... so I
rarely ever do it unless I have to update BIOS or defrag, etc..)

-Israel
ToriOS Team