[IDEAS] ToriOS.web

Dear all,

I've been thinking for sometime now .. the deep and core idea of ToriOS
project is to offer the minimal working system with GUI for users with very
old machines. Your definition of "old machines" may vary and be different
though but that should not disagree with the fact that ToriOS is actually
designed mainly for old computers and it can also be installed on a new
machine.

Giving the fact that ToriOS has the minimal set of software/packages, it
made me think about:

Why not we offer A NEW SPIN/VERSION for the web?

Allow me to elaborate.
Many basic or light users are only using their machines for browsing the
web, sending emails, Google Drive maybe, YouTube, Facebook, etc. That said,
how about we give them ToriOS with a NEW flavour? a flavour that's designed
ONLY for websites?

What could help is: we don't have to include ANY extra package. Only the
MAIN and the most important packages that will make ToriOS works + one main
browser (*we can vote for that or ask the community to vote to choose their
favourite browser*) + a list of browsers the users can choose from to
install right after they install ToriOS successfully on their machines.
Nothing else, nothing more.

An OS designed for old machines to make them a web-browsing-machines.
That's all.

As you know, the problem nowadays is:
Websites are more resource hungry. They need more machine power to work. If
we can reduce the effort that a machine can put on its OS, we'll save some
extra power/resource for the website. Yes, let's be super honest here .. I
am NOT talking about a machine with 256MB of RAM as these machines can't
even handle Google homepage. I'm talking about a bit more powerful
machines. A machine that can handle popular websites.

Maybe ToriOS.web won't be purely for old machines. It will be only for a
machine that will be used as a web browser, period. Nothing more and
nothing else.

If someone needs to use ToriOS for multi purposes, then he/she can simply
use ToriOS, the original and the main flavour.

If someone needs only a web browsing machine, ToriOS.web will be the best
option. He/She doesn't have to worry about ant-virus and crap like that.
They're already using the most powerful anti-virus in the world, that's the
Linux kernel.

I'm going to share this on our media channels. Let's see what our users
think about this.

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for your feedback.

It would be great if we can find someone who is interested in this idea,
jump in and help to make it happen. That would be amazing :D

Thank you and keep up the great spirit!

Best Regards,
Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

Follow ups