Re: [IDEAS] ToriOS.web

On 05/22/2018 03:40 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've been thinking for sometime now .. the deep and core idea of
> ToriOS project is to offer the minimal working system with GUI for
> users with very old machines. Your definition of "old machines" may
> vary and be different though but that should not disagree with the
> fact that ToriOS is actually designed mainly for old computers and it
> can also be installed on a new machine.
>
> Giving the fact that ToriOS has the minimal set of software/packages,
> it made me think about:
>
> Why not we offer A NEW SPIN/VERSION for the web?
>
> Allow me to elaborate.
> Many basic or light users are only using their machines for browsing
> the web, sending emails, Google Drive maybe, YouTube, Facebook, etc.
> That said, how about we give them ToriOS with a NEW flavour? a flavour
> that's designed ONLY for websites?
>
> What could help is: we don't have to include ANY extra package. Only
> the MAIN and the most important packages that will make ToriOS works +
> one main browser (/we can vote for that or ask the community to vote
> to choose their favourite browser/) + a list of browsers the users can
> choose from to install right after they install ToriOS successfully on
> their machines. Nothing else, nothing more.
>
> An OS designed for old machines to make them a web-browsing-machines.
> That's all.
>
> As you know, the problem nowadays is:
> Websites are more resource hungry. They need more machine power to
> work. If we can reduce the effort that a machine can put on its OS,
> we'll save some extra power/resource for the website. Yes, let's be
> super honest here .. I am NOT talking about a machine with 256MB of
> RAM as these machines can't even handle Google homepage. I'm talking
> about a bit more powerful machines. A machine that can handle popular
> websites.
>
> Maybe ToriOS.web won't be purely for old machines. It will be only for
> a machine that will be used as a web browser, period. Nothing more and
> nothing else.
>
> If someone needs to use ToriOS for multi purposes, then he/she can
> simply use ToriOS, the original and the main flavour.
>
> If someone needs only a web browsing machine, ToriOS.web will be the
> best option. He/She doesn't have to worry about ant-virus and crap
> like that. They're already using the most powerful anti-virus in the
> world, that's the Linux kernel.
>
> I'm going to share this on our media channels. Let's see what our
> users think about this.
>
> Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for your feedback.
>
> It would be great if we can find someone who is interested in this
> idea, jump in and help to make it happen. That would be amazing :D
>
> Thank you and keep up the great spirit!
>

> --
> Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>
> Best Regards,
> Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

Hi Ali,

So, I think you do mean a kiosk (like Nio asked).

This is a good idea, and would be pretty easy.  The one issue I see, is
that the user could not download files and use them outside of their own
computer without technical expertise.  They could not mount their phone
and transfer files either.

Without a panel up top (or on bottom), it would be hard to perform
something basic like the network connection management, unless they are
using a wired connection.

Then there would also be no window management, if it was 'just a web
browser' so you could not open a new window for web pages.

I do like the idea, and we could ship a smaller version of ToriOS which
is not customizable via the GUI, has no extra Apps, and has only 2
buttons, no extra desktops and would automatically start the web browser
in fullscreen mode/or whatever.

I think this is an idea that would take a lot of consideration