Re: Question about implanting Ubuntuforum

On 12 April 2012 12:52, Bruno Girin <brunogirin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I think this would be a great idea! The only thing I would be careful of is
> that if the accomplishment is based on the number of posts, some people may
> be tempted to file in dummy posts just to get their numbers up so it may be
> useful to find a more reliable metric.
>
> Otherwise, just easy to gain accomplishments may be useful to, such as:
> - first post on the forums (same with Ask Ubuntu)
> - first answer to post on the forums (same with Ask Ubuntu)
> - reputation and badges on Ask Ubuntu
> - best answers on Ask Ubuntu
>
> The details on how to create new accomplishments is here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Creating

Welcome, Joseph, to the Ubuntu Accomplishments community! Sorry for
the delayed response from me, I was at an event late last week.

As Bruno pointed out, we want to avoid accomplishments that are earned
by X number of posts/comments etc. These kinds of things can be easily
abused. Instead we focus on accomplishments for new experiences such
as the examples Bruno gave above.

I would *love* to see Ubuntu Forums accomplishments in the Ubuntu
Community accomplishment set. :-)

> One additional point: most of the accomplishments today use data that is
> available in Launchpad because Launchpad offers an API to connect to it. I
> have no idea what the API would be for the forums or for Ask Ubuntu so
> finding how you can connect to those two would be the first step. Once you
> know how to do that, we can help you work out how to create new
> accomplishments.

Bruno again makes a good point. To have accomplishments for the forums
you will need to be able to provide a script that can ask the forums
if something has been achieved. I am not sure if the forums provide a
web API.

As for Ask Ubuntu, I think it would be awesome if someone could write
some scripts to get AskUbuntu badges into the Ubuntu Accomplishments
system. :-)

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon