Re: accomplishments-lens

Hi David!

On 25 April 2012 12:34, David Callé <davidc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> the lens has been started again from scratch yesterday and is now in the
> PPA.
>
> What's here:
>
> Two categories: Accomplished, Opportunities
>
> Three filters:
> Application : <applications>
> Category : <categories>
>

> What's missing:
>
> - Dynamic filters.
> When an application filter option is selected, the category filter options
> should change accordingly. It works, but Unity makes it ugly by reloading
> the state of every filters when an application filter option is selected.
> I'm discussing the issue with upstream Unity.
>
> - URI activation.
> Nothing happens when a result is clicked. It should open the viewer on the
> trophy page, but I'm not sure if the viewer currently supports it. If the
> website is ready before it's supported, it could open the website trophy
> page in the meantime.

Currently viewer does not support this, but I will add this. I will
add it so you can trigger accomplishment information like this:

   accomplishments-viewer -s ubuntu-community -a community-council-member

-s will be for the set and -a will be for the accomplishment name.

I will add this when I get a few minutes.

> - Daemon activation.
> Twisted crashes without any error message when I try to start the daemon via
> the lens (with os.comand or GLib spawn async), but it only happens when the
> lens is started with the session (more precisely, lenses are started when
> the Dash is opened for the first time during a session). Starting the lens
> manually works and launches twisted as expected... I've removed the daemon
> activation from the lens and until it's fixed: accomplishments-daemon needs
> to be started manually or by opening the accomplishments viewer. You will
> see a warning message in the lens if the daemon is not running.

What do you mean by "starting the lens manually" as opposed to in the session?

> The architecture (categories & filters) of the lens is not perfect and I'm
> pretty sure you will have suggestions for it.
> A few issues I've noticed while playing with it this afternoon :
> - "Accomplished" is not consistent with the viewer, where it's "My
> Trophies".

Yeah, we will want to ensure all of our terminology is synced up. :-)

> - "Opportunities" is, when unfiltered, a mix of locked/unlocked trophies and
> I'm not sure how they should be ordered. I'd like to try splitting it in two
> categories : "Opportunities" and "Locked". Having them in two places should,
> IMHO, give a gaming feeling where you would have to "level up" or "get the
> right item" to take them out of the "Locked" category, and put them in an
> available position in order to accomplish them.

In the viewer we show all opportunities and then have a toggle for
'Show Locked' which toggles whether locked opportunities are shown.

Thanks for all of your wonderful work on this, David! My thanks is
also tinged with my apologies...while on a flight today I did
something that cielak and I have discussed recently which is to tidy
up the daemon API - you can read about my changes at
https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-contributors/msg00162.html
- this should only mean a little search and replace in your lens.

Would it be possible to update your lens and then update the PPA? I am
looking forward to testing this out! Thanks!

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager