Re: accomplishments-lens

On jeu. 26 avril 2012 00:06:08 CEST, Jono Bacon wrote:
Hi David!

On 25 April 2012 12:34, David Callé<davidc@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi list,

the lens has been started again from scratch yesterday and is now in the
PPA.

What's here:

Two categories: Accomplished, Opportunities

Three filters:
Application :<applications>
Category :<categories>

What's missing:

- Dynamic filters.
When an application filter option is selected, the category filter options
should change accordingly. It works, but Unity makes it ugly by reloading
the state of every filters when an application filter option is selected.
I'm discussing the issue with upstream Unity.

- URI activation.
Nothing happens when a result is clicked. It should open the viewer on the
trophy page, but I'm not sure if the viewer currently supports it. If the
website is ready before it's supported, it could open the website trophy
page in the meantime.

Currently viewer does not support this, but I will add this. I will
add it so you can trigger accomplishment information like this:

    accomplishments-viewer -s ubuntu-community -a community-council-member

-s will be for the set and -a will be for the accomplishment name.

I will add this when I get a few minutes.

- Daemon activation.
Twisted crashes without any error message when I try to start the daemon via
the lens (with os.comand or GLib spawn async), but it only happens when the
lens is started with the session (more precisely, lenses are started when
the Dash is opened for the first time during a session). Starting the lens
manually works and launches twisted as expected... I've removed the daemon
activation from the lens and until it's fixed: accomplishments-daemon needs
to be started manually or by opening the accomplishments viewer. You will
see a warning message in the lens if the daemon is not running.

What do you mean by "starting the lens manually" as opposed to in the session?

Starting the lens via the command line as opposed to automatically started by Unity when the Dash is opened for the first time during a session.

The architecture (categories&  filters) of the lens is not perfect and I'm
pretty sure you will have suggestions for it.
A few issues I've noticed while playing with it this afternoon :
- "Accomplished" is not consistent with the viewer, where it's "My
Trophies".

Yeah, we will want to ensure all of our terminology is synced up. :-)

- "Opportunities" is, when unfiltered, a mix of locked/unlocked trophies and
I'm not sure how they should be ordered. I'd like to try splitting it in two
categories : "Opportunities" and "Locked". Having them in two places should,
IMHO, give a gaming feeling where you would have to "level up" or "get the
right item" to take them out of the "Locked" category, and put them in an
available position in order to accomplish them.

In the viewer we show all opportunities and then have a toggle for
'Show Locked' which toggles whether locked opportunities are shown.

Thanks for all of your wonderful work on this, David! My thanks is
also tinged with my apologies...while on a flight today I did
something that cielak and I have discussed recently which is to tidy
up the daemon API - you can read about my changes at
https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-accomplishments-contributors/msg00162.html
- this should only mean a little search and replace in your lens.

Would it be possible to update your lens and then update the PPA? I am
looking forward to testing this out! Thanks!

Updated.

    Jono