Re: The Guide to Creating Your Accomplishments

On 1 May 2012 08:33, Stuart Langridge <stuart.langridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/05/12 16:05, Rafał Cieślak wrote:
>>
>> I've just finished preparing a detailed guide concerning creating
>> accomplishments, which aims to be useful for Accomplishments Contributors
>> and third-party developers.
>> I consider it complete. You can find it at
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/CreatingGuide.
>>
>> I hope I have not missed anything. Please share your thoughts, and feel
>> free to edit & improve it.
>>
> This is very cool :-)
>
> One whiny thing: accomplishments don't necessarily *need* a script. There
> are really three sorts of accomplishments[1]:
>
> * ones awarded when you do something not on your computer, such as Launchpad
> bug-filing (these obviously need a script to talk to Launchpad and see if
> you've accomplished the task)
> * ones awarded for doing something on your computer (such as beating
> Minesweeper) but which are checked for completeness by a script rather than
> by the application itself (which need the script, of course)
> * ones awarded for doing something on your computer (such as beating
> Minesweeper) which are awarded by the application itself
>
> The third sort don't need a script; Minesweeper should, ideally, award you
> accomplishments itself rather than having a separate thing in the
> scriptrunner award them. Of course, there aren't any apps which do this yet,
> and so the separate-script technique is being used, but in a perfect world
> we wouldn't use separate scripts to do things that the application should be
> doing for itself. Do we want to encourage people to write loads of separate
> scripts, or should we be trying to get apps themselves to support the
> Accomplishments system?

I agreed, I think the reason Rafal just focused on scripts is that
calling DBUS currently is fairly untested. When we have it working
(hopefully in 0.2) we can include in the manual.

Also, just to let everyone know, I merged the guide into our Creating
section - see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Creating for
more details.

  Jono

--