The Road To 0.2

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who participated in the 0.1 release: I am
tremendously proud of the release and over 180 people have used it,
with over 680 trophies being issues to our users. I think this is a
wonderful first cut of the system. :-)

I just wanted to summarize some of the discussions that have been
going on recently in the team regarding the road to 0.2.

0.2 is going to bring some key adjustments and changes. Most notably:

 1. Support for local accomplishments (accomplishments on your
computer (e.g. Installing Your First App, Sending Your First Email
etc).
 2. Restructuring of the accomplishments daemon to bring better consistency.
 3. Growth of the Ubuntu Community Accomplishments collection, and the
introduction of the Ubuntu Desktop Accomplishments collection (which
provides a first collection of local accomplishments).

In terms of (1) this support has been largely fixed and added to trunk
(although it needs further testing). In terms of (2) Rafal has
summarized our plans at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/NewAPI
and he is starting work on this. While Rafal fixes some of our API,
this has required a restructuring of the Ubuntu Community
Accomplishments set: I just landed this in a 0.2 series at
https://code.launchpad.net/~jonobacon/ubuntu-community-accomplishments/0.2
- please note that the 0.2 Ubuntu Community Accomplishments set is
currently incompatible with the 0.1 release. Ultimately, when we
release 0.2 our 0.1 users will still be able to use the system.

In terms of (3) we a lot of interest at UDS and recently added five
new accomplishments with more on the way. This is an area where we are
looking for lots of help; writing accomplishments to cover the wide
span of the Ubuntu community and opportunities on the desktop. You can
find ideas in the community at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Trophies and a great tutorial
of how to create accomplishments at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Creating - be sure to ask
questions, we are happy to help!

Also, feel free to join us in #ubuntu-accomplishments on freenode. :-)

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager