Re: better changelogs

> So how do we do this on a day to day level? Should I just add a
> Changelog entry in addition to the commit message? Alternatively, is
> there a way to add something to the commit message that is then
> automatically pulled into the Changelog?

I don't think you can substitute a good changelog with the list of
commit messages. A meaningful change in the project often takes
several commits, and so the commit messages would be too much detailed
and too cryptic. I think a good changelog is a summary of several
related commits in an easy to understand language. I often use them
verbatim in release notes.

On a day to day level, maybe the best might be if the gatekeeper (who
is merging branches into the trunk) updates the changelog about the
*meaning* of the changes just merged in.

I hope this helps,
Janos
--
Janos Gyerik