Re: better changelogs

On 07/29/2012 02:55 PM, Janos Gyerik wrote:
So how do we do this on a day to day level? Should I just add a
Changelog entry in addition to the commit message? Alternatively, is
there a way to add something to the commit message that is then
automatically pulled into the Changelog?
I don't think you can substitute a good changelog with the list of
commit messages. A meaningful change in the project often takes
several commits, and so the commit messages would be too much detailed
and too cryptic. I think a good changelog is a summary of several
related commits in an easy to understand language. I often use them
verbatim in release notes.

On a day to day level, maybe the best might be if the gatekeeper (who
is merging branches into the trunk) updates the changelog about the
*meaning* of the changes just merged in.

I hope this helps,
Janos

The problem with updating the changelog on each merge is that you have to roll the version. For example, right now we're using 0.2. You'd either have to start updating the 0.2 changelog entry with new info or make a new 0.3 entry. Since 0.2 has shipped, you'd want to make a new entry, effectively changing the version. What about just keeping a pseudo-changelog in tree or somewhere else on your system that becomes the real changelog during a release?