Re: Global-isation?

On 8 December 2010 01:58, yitzchak schwarz <s.y.schwarz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ubuntu's priorities seem to be simplicity, consistency, originality, and
> beauty. Customisability doesn't seem to be a priority. I also find it unwise
> to advertise based on stuff that will be gone in the next release. We should
> focus on Unity, not GNOME Panel. Other things we should think of are
> Canonical's "cash cows" - The app store, the music store, and synch service.
> The integration of these things by default is also a selling feature. We
> should try to stay away from normal Linux promotion ideas and instead focus
> on what Ubuntu is, what it aims to be, and who is the subsequent target
> audience. IMO that's non-gamer home users right now who don't know and don't
> want to know anything about computers beyond the minimum steps necessary to
> get stuff done, and have no patience for anything that can be seen as an
> extra step between turning on their computer and completing the intended
> task.
>

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Archibald Platypus <idi0tf0wl@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> If Ubuntu was looking to do some real video advertising, I have a
>> wonderful idea for a global market. The theme simply has to be freedom.
>> No words really have to be necessary, just print words will do, and can
>> be stylized to include the same statements (or whatever!) in all
>> languages. No humans. Just people using their desktops. With free and
>> open source software, you can be free, and people who use Ubuntu have
>> control over their computer: Each and every desktop will look completely
>> different, feel completely different, be organized for completely
>> different tasks, and carry on said tasks in completely different ways.
>> With Ubuntu, you can truly be unique. If we did a call out to Ubuntu
>> users to send us screen-casts of their own desktops in use, and specify
>> a resolution for submission, we could easily generate enough visual
>> content to express this freedom. I also have music I would like to
>> submit for the background.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this?

yitzchak: Completely agreed!.

We're looking at users who are not advanced; they want Facebook and eBay;
they want to listen to their music and watch their videos.

And yes, the older GNOME system, whilst I believe will be available as a
fail-safe, will not be the main interface; Unity will be. As Unity's UI is
not expected to stablilze until far too late in the cycle for us to work
with, we are facing a difficult decision; It looks like we may have to do a
Ubuntu ad, without Ubuntu in it. (or at least, not very visible) We don't
want to create an ad without the correct interface, after all...

--

-Danté Ashton

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Sent from Ubuntu