Re: Target audience - was Global-isation

On 08/12/10 16:13, tarek.said.info@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

We could make several ads, each focusing on a different kind of user, each
with an equally powerful tagline, on the same mold.

Unless Ubuntu is preinstalled by the vendor, then it does need to be installed by someone. That someone is not going to be my elderly neighbour with XP nor likely to be anyone who has not themselves re-installed Windows, they will just be too nervous.

The aim of some adverts will be to create an eager need for Ubuntu in these potential users, non technical end users who hopefully will keep asking their techie friends or family members (FOFMs) what about Ubuntu?

FOFMs may not want to be bothered about Ubuntu, after all they are expert in Windows. So what is in it for them?

Most Windows users have XP. That is a LOT of potential Ubuntu users, a very large number. Microsoft worked very hard at selling Vista. A lot more potential Ubuntu users.
Windows 7 is ok but it is still not secure. and it still nags.

Given that the MS marketing is to make both XP AND Vista obsolete, or at least FEEL obsolete, then if we think carefully about our advertising, we will not only be pushing at an open door, but will have the benefits of a Microsoft campaign in our favour.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user