Re: Target-market.]

Hi all,

I have my own story, which I think is worth sharing: My first experience with Linux (using the Debian distro) was in college (IUT2 de Grenoble) in 2003, when I was learning Computer Science. Since it was this course that handled the school's IT department, ALL the pcs used Debian. After a quick lesson on using the shell and some basic commands, I just fell in love. Found out that (at the time) Mandrake was the easiest distro to install, so I bought a Linux magazine that had a CD. Installed it on my home machine and started using Linux ever since. After Mandrake I also tried Red Hat and Knopixx (with a Live CD), finally sticking with Ubuntu in 2006 after a friend showed it to me.

I believe this is one way to spread Ubuntu. If we can convince schools that Linux is the way to go, then we can touch not only experienced Windows users (like I was) but also new users, since not only the Computer Science course was using it, but the entire school. And since everything was already set up, they had a pleasant experience and were encouraged to try it at home.

Regards,
Tarek.

Em 28/12/2010 10:40, Barry Drake <b.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 10:36 +0000, tarek.said.info@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I agree. I think we still need to define our target better. Are we

> going to target new users (who have never used a PC)?

They would get VERY confused. If there is such a target, they will

obviously have friends with a PC who will be eager to advise ... Unless

one of us is in personal contact with such a person, I think this would

be negative effort.

> Windows inexperienced users?

I Windows users generally are the biggest potential target. Danté is

suggesting we target the experienced Windows user. This does not

necessarily mean highly technical users or the technical market itself.

It simply means Windows users who know a bit more than e-mail and

web-browser stuff.

These days most really experienced Windows users are disillusioned in

some way with at least one aspect of Windows. Each of the folk I've

installed Ubuntu for has been in that category. With regard to other

OS's, the only significant target out there is the Mac user, and s/he is

NOT disillusioned with the Mac because it's still a good system!

Why did they take a lot of work to convert? Because they assumed they

would need to re-learn everything. It took each of them a matter of

minutes to feel completely at home with Ubuntu. Maybe something along

the lines of a very familiar looking screenshot of a web-browser with a

punchline like 'Does this look familiar to you? You'll be surprised to

know that this is not your usual computer screen - you are looking at

Ubuntu'.

> I agree, that's Dante's idea: target the technical market, which is

> more susceptible to switch to Ubuntu than new users or Windows users,

> once we clear their bias. I do believe we can also target those new

> users, but obviously using a different ad and knowing we'll have a

> lower sucess rate.

Completely new users would only come on board if we could supply them

with a pre-installed Ubuntu machine from a high-street store, That

isn't going to happen any time soon. Question: where are they going to

buy their first PC? Not online, obviously.

Regards, Barry.

--

What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?

...There IS a Better Way! Ubuntu!