Re: Click Package Index Status

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 01:35:44PM -0400, David Pitkin wrote:
> I would expect an application manifest to identify a minimum and maximum
> API level that is tied to an Ubuntu release. The idea of having any OR
> logic in there is a bit of an over complication.

Well, I originally wanted to have it be spelled:

  Click-Framework: ubuntu-sdk (>= 13.10), ubuntu-sdk (<< 14.04)

(As far as the actual .click file is concerned, that is.  I don't much
care how developers write it and we might want a different syntax for
them, but for control fields it's convenient to have it be in package
dependency relationship syntax.)

Stuart argued me out of that for reasons I now forget and perhaps he can
elaborate on.

I also want to leave space for people coming along in future and saying
"well, yeah, I like this click package thing, but I also want to rely on
Mono [or whatever] and that's not in your SDK - can I build a click
package that uses the SDK plus bits of Mono?" and be able to extend the
format to cope with that kind of thing without too much hair-tearing.
Reinventing the full panoply of Debian package dependencies seems like a
bad idea for reasons I won't repeat, but some kind of coarse-grained
thing could be useful, hence the "frameworks" abstraction.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]