Re: Summary of my understandings

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 18:25 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:13:46PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > >
> > > Depends what you need to do.  The right thing will normally be to look
> > > up the directory on a per-user basis, so for a given user you can ask
> > > "where is my installation of <package>?".  Would a command printing that
> > > meet your needs?
> >
> > Yes, do you expect the version directory to change as well?
>
> Specifically the per-user path is currently something like:
>
>   /opt/click.ubuntu.com/.click/users/cjwatson/com.ubuntu.apps.camera
>     -> /opt/click.ubuntu.com/com.ubuntu.apps.camera/2.9.1daily13.06.13
>
> So only ever one version there.
>
> > Since the application ID would have both pieces of information it
> > seems like passing both would make sense, and then return an error if
> > that isn't the correct version.
>
> I guess, but it seems like kind of an odd interface.  What exactly are
> you trying to do?

Mostly detect errors.  So if I was given
"com.ubuntu.apps.camera_camera_2.9.2" I wouldn't end up executing 2.9.1
because that's what the actual user version is.  In theory, there should
be never be a case that it happens.  But if there was a bug in Unity or
something like that, it'd be good to contain it.

The alternative there would be to check the version against the
manifest, which I'm fine with as well.  I was more thinking that you'd
have to be generating the path and finding the version, so it would be a
good place to check.  If you already have a direct symlink, I think
checking in the manifest would make more sense.

Ted