Re: Click apps on Desktop [...] - Flavors

AIUI it's not a matter of making click work with xorg, it's a matter
of making app armour work with xorg so that we don't have to inspect
each application by hand to ensure that it is not malicious. In other
words, this is about application sandboxing, not about click.

Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong, but I think the situation
is that it is trivial to write an application that looks at all x
input events, even for application windows from other apps. As such, I
can write an app that looks for something that looks like a credit
card number being entered into a web browser (as one obvious example)
and upload that data to my evil server. We don't think this is a
problem in the Ubuntu repositories today because we inspect each
application to make sure they don't do such a thing.

However, we want to make it easier for application developers to get
their apps to users by, among other things, making it difficult for
malicious applications to do naughty things, and therefore minimizing
the effort and time necessary for manually checking them. We can
achieve this reduction in manual vetting only via tight sand-boxing
for applications. With Mir, it is relatively easy, aiui, to use app
armour to restrict an application from knowing about other application
windows, and therefore denying them access to the input for those
windows. With xorg, it is not easy to use app armour in such a manner.

So, the question is about whether we can/should plug the security hole
in xorg, it's not really about click.

Cheers, Rick