Re: ubuntu-bug and click packages

On 9 August 2013 22:16, Martin Albisetti <martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Evan Dandrea <evan.dandrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Only accessible to the developer, or only accessible to a small subset
>> of Canonical Engineering and the developer?
>
> That's a great question. I think you're right, we'd still want some
> insight into applications that are generally buggy, but I would say we
> want different views on the data. Currently, as I understand it, we've
> got errors.u.c integrated with open source applications. In MyApps, it
> could be either. I'd bet that proprietary application developers would
> like to keep the specifics of the errors private to themselves, and we
> would only maybe see a total of failures.

I cannot think of a way of doing this without the data living on
Canonical servers.

For us to figure out what makes a particular crash an instance of a
problem (or bug) we need to generate a complete stacktrace. In the
case of binary programs this involves retracing it, which we cannot do
client-side (unless we stop stripping binaries). So I think the best
solution will be that developers provide us with a binary and symbols
on MyApps. When a crash occurs, the report is submitted to
daisy.ubuntu.com and it's retraced using the developer-provided
symbols. The pages for problems (collections of crashes) on
https://errors.ubuntu.com are then locked down to the Launchpad/SSO
team responsible for them.

We could extend this to hide data from the leaderboard on the front
page of https://errors.ubuntu.com that the person viewing the page
doesn't have the ability to drill down into, but I like the idea of
keeping developers honest by maintaining a publicly-viewable list of
the most pressing problems in Ubuntu. Happy to entertain differing
views though :)

So what we need to make this happen:
- A means of getting the symbols for a package and version tuple from
MyApps (assuming we want the data to live there).
- An API method for getting the Launchpad/SSO teams (I'm assuming this
is what you're using for auth?) responsible for a package from MyApps.

> I think for a seamless experience, we may want to provide all relevant
> information from the same place. Do you think errors.u.c could grow an
> API that we could query from MyApps to provide information from there?

I'm happy to add APIs, but it's not clear to me what you're asking for
here. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "query from
MyApps to provide information from there"?

Thanks!