Re: Supporting multiple frameworks with an app

On miércoles 20 de agosto de 2014 05h'45:57 ART, Daniel Holbach wrote:
Hello,

On 19.08.2014 20:51, Martin Albisetti wrote:
So I think we shouldn't do anything from a feature point of view.
What we should tell developers is that they should update their apps
frequently, and that they should always upload to the store versions
of the frameworks that are on devices already. We will need to provide
that information so they know percentages of users who have each
framework, I will take that as a ToDo (hi Matias!).

just so I understand this correctly: the app namespace will be different for the same app targeting a different framework? This would mean that upgrades across frameworks wouldn't work seamlessly.

Our goal is to not fragment our ecosystem in any significant way,
which means we will for the most part update the majority of the
devices in the wild at the same time.
Right now, that means the recommended target framework is
ubuntu-sdk-14.10, and it will continue to be so until we have pushed
ubuntu-sdk-15.04 to all devices out there. Once the scale of number of
users that have 15.04 tips past a certain point, we can start
recommending developers upload with the 15.04 framework.

Users will use their handsets for a while and we are all hoping to get many devices out there, so at any time there will be a multitude of supported frameworks out there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding all of this, but to me it sounds like if I am a developer who's actively working on an app, I might have to have com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp1410, com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp1504,
com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp1510, etc in the store.

Is this correct?

My assumptions are that we will:
- Update the base systems of all our devices in the same timeframe

Can you elaborate what this means?

This is the dream; I think the objective is to not be like Android and have different releases out in the wild with a high dispersion in the population. Ideally, our dispersion should be small and with a mean trending to the latest stable release; which means, everyone is basically on the latest framework. This is why we have a customization framework instead of people changing the ubuntu rootfs directly.

With that though, the developers just need to target the frameworks that exist on that higly used latest release.

- We will not introduce new target frameworks outside of new versions of the OS

I'm not quite sure what this means either.

If those don't pan out in reality, we can fall back on handling
multiple versions and find the best way to do that.

Am happy to have a hangout about it, of course.

Yeah, a hangout (with a diagram for me ;-)) might do wonders.

Have a great day,
  Daniel