Re: Supporting multiple frameworks with an app

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ello,
>

> On 19.08.2014 20:51, Martin Albisetti wrote:
>>
>> So I think we shouldn't do anything from a feature point of view.
>> What we should tell developers is that they should update their apps
>> frequently, and that they should always upload to the store versions
>> of the frameworks that are on devices already. We will need to provide
>> that information so they know percentages of users who have each
>> framework, I will take that as a ToDo (hi Matias!).
>

> just so I understand this correctly: the app namespace will be different for
> the same app targeting a different framework? This would mean that upgrades
> across frameworks wouldn't work seamlessly.

Not at all. Why would that have to be the case?
You would upload the same app, with the same namespace. At some point
that app will switch to a newer framework. The developer makes the
call when, the suggested (and sane) time will be when the majority of
the devices out there support it.

>> Our goal is to not fragment our ecosystem in any significant way,
>> which means we will for the most part update the majority of the
>> devices in the wild at the same time.
>> Right now, that means the recommended target framework is
>> ubuntu-sdk-14.10, and it will continue to be so until we have pushed
>> ubuntu-sdk-15.04 to all devices out there. Once the scale of number of
>> users that have 15.04 tips past a certain point, we can start
>> recommending developers upload with the 15.04 framework.
>

> Users will use their handsets for a while and we are all hoping to get many
> devices out there, so at any time there will be a multitude of supported
> frameworks out there.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding all of this, but to me it sounds like if I am a
> developer who's actively working on an app, I might have to have
> com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp1410,
> com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp1504,
> com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp1510, etc in the store.
>
> Is this correct?

No  :)
Just com.ubuntu.developer.dholbach.superapp,
Today, you would upload it with the 14.10 framework. You will continue
updating the app with that framework for a long time. Maybe we release
a new image update with a new framework at some point. You, as the
developer, will wait until most devices have received this update
before updating your app to target this new framework.

Yes, this does mean that as a developer, you can play with newer
frameworks, but will have to wait for it to be widely available to
ship an app with it. I expect the beta channel to allow you to QA for
a while.

>> My assumptions are that we will:
>> - Update the base systems of all our devices in the same timeframe
>

> Can you elaborate what this means?
>

>> - We will not introduce new target frameworks outside of new versions of
>> the OS
>

> I'm not quite sure what this means either.

This means that we introduce (and recommend for wide yes) new
frameworks together with image updates that will be pushed to all
devices, essentially.

>> If those don't pan out in reality, we can fall back on handling
>> multiple versions and find the best way to do that.
>>
>> Am happy to have a hangout about it, of course.
>

> Yeah, a hangout (with a diagram for me ;-)) might do wonders.

I think this works better if you can see me wave my hands.  /o/ /o\ \o o/

--
Martin