[daradib@xxxxxxxxx: Re: daradib wants to join]

Forwarding application.

----- Forwarded message from Dara Adib <daradib@xxxxxxxxx> -----

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:07:02 -0400
From: Dara Adib <daradib@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: daradib wants to join

> 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?

I understood the importance of being polite and I have signed the Code
of Conduct.

> 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> that documentation?

I have read the three wiki pages. However, I do have a
comment/question with one of the points.

Under the section Special types of bugs, "Please merge <package> from
Debian unstable (main)" is cited as being a project management task
and the wiki page therefore states it should be avoided.

I will use Bug 252287 as an example here to better illustrate my
problem. Bug 252287 is currently subscribed by Aïssi Dylan (reporter),
Iain Lane, and me. With the exception of Iain Lane (who was subscribed
to the bug later on), Aïssi Dylan and I are non-developers and members
of Ubuntu Bug Squad. It seems highly unlikely, therefore, that this is
a project management task for developers. I mistakenly subscribed
Ubuntu Package Archive Administrators, as I believed that team would
probably use the bug report as a project management task. Instead,
Iain Lane commented that "Only developers with upload rights may
approve sync requests and subscribe the archive" and promptly
unsubscribed the archive administrators. I sent him a private email
apologizing. After filling the bug report with as much information as
I thought was necessary, I brought the issue up on #ubuntu-bugs to ask
if it should be marked as triaged. I did not receive a fully
conclusive answer. Some said the bug should be avoided since it was a
project management task (which I find highly unlikely), while others
said Triaged status is not the best step to take.

It is my opinion that the bug was filed by Aïssi Dylan as a request
for the updated package, and not for project management purposes.
Without Triaged status, though, it might take a while until a
developer looks at the bug.

Thanks for your opinion on this matter.

> 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> information.

* sensitive numbers: bank accounts, credit cards, social security, etc.
* passwords
* keys: GPG/PGP, SSH, CSS DVD keys

> 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> interested in helping out with?

LyX and Wesnoth right now, though that may change in the future. I am
currently subscribed to the bug mail for those two packages.

> 5) I also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.

Should I include bugs that I mark as a duplicate of another bug? Most
of the bugs that I triage end up being duplicates. I will assume not,
but please let me know. I will put six bugs here (they are not
duplicates), just in case.

Bug 256345: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wesnoth/+bug/256345
I will forward upstream as I could not find it reported in Wesnoth's
bug tracker.Thanks to Greg Grossmeier for marking as status Low after
request on #ubuntu-bugs.

Bug 255323: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wesnoth/+bug/255323
I would mark this bug as importance Wishlist.

Bug 253196: https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/lyx/+bug/253196
I would mark this bug as importance Wishlist. However, I may give it
importance Low if I could confirm that it would indeed fix Bug 157443
and Bug 94706, which are somewhat alluded to in the upstream
changelog.

Bug 243345: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wesnoth/+bug/243345
I would mark this bug as importance Low.

Bug 242648: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx/+bug/242648

Bug 228067: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx/+bug/228067
I would mark this bug as importance Medium.

Thank you for your email. If you have any comments or questions,
please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Dara Adib