Re: [daradib@xxxxxxxxx: Re: daradib wants to join]

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Brian Murray <brian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have read the three wiki pages. However, I do have a

> Under the section Special types of bugs, "Please merge <package> from
> Debian unstable (main)" is cited as being a project management task
> and the wiki page therefore states it should be avoided.
>
> I will use Bug 252287 as an example here to better illustrate my
> problem. Bug 252287 is currently subscribed by Aïssi Dylan (reporter),
> Iain Lane, and me. With the exception of Iain Lane (who was subscribed
> to the bug later on), Aïssi Dylan and I are non-developers and members
> of Ubuntu Bug Squad. It seems highly unlikely, therefore, that this is
> a project management task for developers. I mistakenly subscribed
> Ubuntu Package Archive Administrators, as I believed that team would
> probably use the bug report as a project management task. Instead,
> Iain Lane commented that "Only developers with upload rights may
> approve sync requests and subscribe the archive" and promptly
> unsubscribed the archive administrators. I sent him a private email
> apologizing. After filling the bug report with as much information as
> I thought was necessary, I brought the issue up on #ubuntu-bugs to ask
> if it should be marked as triaged. I did not receive a fully
> conclusive answer. Some said the bug should be avoided since it was a
> project management task (which I find highly unlikely), while others
> said Triaged status is not the best step to take.
>
> It is my opinion that the bug was filed by Aïssi Dylan as a request
> for the updated package, and not for project management purposes.
> Without Triaged status, though, it might take a while until a
> developer looks at the bug.
>
> Thanks for your opinion on this matter.

The bug in question is actually a sync request, not a merge request.
When a package is synced from Debian, we copy the package as-is from
the Debian repositories into the Ubuntu repositories. Before doing
this, we have to be positive that the new Debian version will not
introduce any new bugs/problems in Ubuntu.This is why there is a
special process for requesting a sync. The process begins with someone
creating a sync request bug on Launchpad. They set the status to
'New', and subscribe either ubuntu-universe-sponsors or
ubuntu-main-sponsors to the bug. Then, a MOTU or Core-Dev (if the
package is in main/restricted) has to ACK the request. Once they ACK
the request, they subscribe the Archive Admins to the bug, and set the
status to 'Confirmed'. Once an Archive Admin performs the Sync, they
set the status to 'Fix Released'. As you can see, there is a set
process in place for getting a package synced from Debian. They talk
more about this process on the wiki [1]. Hopefully this has answered
your question.

Sincerely,
Nathan Handler (nhandler

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Sponsorship/SponsorsQueue