Re: Bug Control Application

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Joel Goguen <jgoguen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My apologies, I completely forgot.  Here is the bug list again, with
> descriptions, proposed importance, and my reasons for choosing that
> importance.
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/160794 - I was able to confirm it, I think it
> should be consistent across platforms, and reported upstream. I would set
> this Low, because the bug is a cosmetic one that doesn't affect the
> functionality of Thunderbird.

You also filed it upstream which is awesome! Though I think for
something like this, Wishlist might be more appropriate, since it
isn't even a problem with the application in Ubuntu itself but only
when compared to another version elsewhere. I've marked it as such.
Also if you file a bug upstream you can take in from Confirmed to
Triaged :)

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/153405 - Closed, reporter said it was fixed with
> a config change, also asked the reporter to re-test using gvfs. I would set
> this Medium because the bug causes reduced functionality that's expected to
> work, and the workaround, although straightforward and easy, may not be
> obvious.

This one is a little confusing since it seems like the user may have
only worked around the problem and as such it isn't really fixed, so
it may have been more appropriate to leave it open. Also I wouldn't
ask the person to open a new bug if it isn't fixed by default yet,
instead just set it back to New.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/124920 - Fix Released, since upstream had
> publicly released the fix and it was in the Ubuntu repos since Thunderbird
> 2.0.0.12. I would set this Low because the workaround, which is to create a
> custom filter with the same criteria, is documented and fairly simple.

Looks good!

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/198515 - Asked the user to upgrade and file a new
> bug with stacktrace if the crash happens again. This was set to Medium,
> which I agree with because the bug is a crash, which is a fairly substantial
> impact.

Since the original reporter said it was fixed and someone else moved
it back to new, I would have told that person to file a new report (I
left a comment), and I would have reset the status to what it was (Fix
Released) instead of Invalid.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/122969 - Closed, I couldn't reproduce the issue
> and the reporter didn't reply after ~4 weeks. I would set this Low, since it
> can be easily worked around by copying and pasting the address (and name if
> desired).

It is really good here that you didn't just blindly ask for
information but actually attempted to reproduce it since instructions
were given. Since you couldn't, you set to Incomplete and then later
Invalid. This looks good! I agree and set the Importance to Low, just
in case it should get re-opened again by the reporter.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/225797 - Won't Fix because upstream won't be
> fixing this in the Thunderbird 2.x stream, but it's fixed in Thunderbird 3
> beta3-pre. I would set this Medium, since it renders the "subject or sender"
> search basically unusable.

It looks like you found the upstream report here so that is awesome.
It does seem like there should be a way to say this will be fixed in
Ubuntu eventually, but it seems like you did the best thing reasonable
here!

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/280389 - I was able to confirm this, forwarded it
> upstream. I would set this Low, because there is an easy workaround
> (manually change the format of the SMB links, or copy/paste them if using
> Firefox).

Super awesome that you confirmed it and sent it upstream! Again
because we have an upstream link, you should set it to triaged (I've
done this and set to Low). Because you aren't BugControl (yet!) you
can't I don't think, but pinging someone in #ubuntu-bugs to do it
would be great in the meantime.

Pretty cool that you also discovered this in firefox and evolution; if
you are ever feeling up to it upstream tasks would be good here. This
is potentially a bug that belongs in Mozilla Core that would fix both
thunderbird and firefox.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/237341 - Confirmed because of multiple bug
> reports and also I found an upstream bug about the same issue. This was set
> Low, which I agree with because the bug is cosmetic and doesn't limit the
> functionality of Thunderbird.

More good work finding upstream tasks! I've set this one to Triaged as well.

Overall Joel you seem to be doing really solid work, especially in the
upstream area which is really crucial to getting bugs fixed. I
definitely approve and give you a +1. Just don't forget to set bugs
with upstream tasks to Triaged once you are BugControl. I would try to
keep in mind my comments on the second and fourth bugs though,
remembering that just because someone worked around it doesn't mean
the bug should be closed, and make sure to read up on Invalid vs Fix
Released and when to use each. Generally if the reporter says the bug
has been fixed but doesn't know when or what version did it, then you
Invalidate it, but if it was fixed with a specific update, especially
if that update was expected to fix it, then it should be Fix Released.

See you around,

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney@xxxxxxxxx