Re: Bug Control Application

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:42:09PM -0300, Joel Goguen wrote:
> My apologies, I completely forgot.  Here is the bug list again, with
> descriptions, proposed importance, and my reasons for choosing that
> importance.
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/160794 - I was able to confirm it, I think it
> should be consistent across platforms, and reported upstream. I would
> set this Low, because the bug is a cosmetic one that doesn't affect the
> functionality of Thunderbird.

Thanks for taking the time to forward this bug report upstream, this is
a very valuable service and is quite helpful!  I agree with a Low
importance for this bug report.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/153405 - Closed, reporter said it was fixed
> with a config change, also asked the reporter to re-test using gvfs. I
> would set this Medium because the bug causes reduced functionality
> that's expected to work, and the workaround, although straightforward
> and easy, may not be obvious.

This looks good to me.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/124920 - Fix Released, since upstream had
> publicly released the fix and it was in the Ubuntu repos since
> Thunderbird 2.0.0.12. I would set this Low because the workaround, which
> is to create a custom filter with the same criteria, is documented and
> fairly simple.

This looks good to me also, thanks for checking with the reporter rather
than just setting the bug to Fix Released.  I agree with the importance
you'd give this bug.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/198515 - Asked the user to upgrade and file a
> new bug with stacktrace if the crash happens again. This was set to
> Medium, which I agree with because the bug is a crash, which is a fairly
> substantial impact.

This looks good to me.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/122969 - Closed, I couldn't reproduce the
> issue and the reporter didn't reply after ~4 weeks. I would set this
> Low, since it can be easily worked around by copying and pasting the
> address (and name if desired).

Thanks for taking the time to test this yourself before commenting on
the bug report and waiting to hear back from the reporter before
Invalidating.  This is really the ideal workflow.  I believe the Low
importance is appropriate too.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/225797 - Won't Fix because upstream won't be
> fixing this in the Thunderbird 2.x stream, but it's fixed in Thunderbird
> 3 beta3-pre. I would set this Medium, since it renders the "subject or
> sender" search basically unusable.

I'm not certain I would have set the status of the Ubuntu bug to "Won't
Fix".  Since the thunderbird package is not version specific it's
possible that it could provide Thunderbird 3 in which case the bug would
really be Fix Released.  That's not really the important bit though,
what is important is that this bug is now hidden from default searches.
So if it is Medium importance, which I agree about, its likely people
will be looking for that bug and not able to find it.  I'd rather see
the bug left open in a Triaged state.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/280389 - I was able to confirm this,
> forwarded it upstream. I would set this Low, because there is an easy
> workaround (manually change the format of the SMB links, or copy/paste
> them if using Firefox).

This looks great, thanks for testing with other mail clients and opening
the additional tasks.  Thanks also for forwarding it upstream.  I might
set the importance to Medium because while it is easy to workaround
people really shouldn't have to.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/237341 - Confirmed because of multiple bug
> reports and also I found an upstream bug about the same issue. This was
> set Low, which I agree with because the bug is cosmetic and doesn't
> limit the functionality of Thunderbird.

This also looks great, thanks for finding the relevant upstream bug
report.

Based on the work you've submitted you have my endorsement for
membership in the bug control team.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com