Re: Mentors request queue

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 09:35 +0100, markus korn wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Micah Gersten
> <launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > markus korn wrote:
> >> I don't know if this has already been discussed, but can't we use
> >> launchpad to organize this mentorship program?
> >> My idea is to have a restricted group called similar to
> >> "~ubuntu-bugs-mentorship". All mentors are administrators of this
> >> group (directly or via a separate team). People requesting mentorship
> >> which do not have a mentor yet are in the "Pending approval" queue.
> >> All mentees are approved members of this team.

Hum. This is what I love on working as a group: each of us do not always
have the answers (if at all), or we may have a not-so-good one -- and
someone in the group jumps in and proposes a different approach/view.

Yes, it *is* a good idea, but I just do not know the full impacts.

Following on this, ideas on management:

 * we would need some two or three managers; this might help provide a
faster response time than the one I personally have been able to
provide, so far;
 * candidates would request membership; upon being accepted by a mentor,
membership would be approved (by the accepting mentor? by one of the
managers?);
 * candidates lose membership at the end of the mentorship -- upon
receiving the end-of-mentorship report from the mentor, (one of the
managers? the mentor?) does that;
 * we would have a mailing list. Posting is restricted to members, but
subscription is free. Final reports are sent to the ML.
 * as far as I can see, what happens *after* the mentorship is ended is
not an issue for the mentors programme. Nevertheless, we will need to
clarify it.

> >> This team should also be subscribed to all bugs a mentee is working
> >> while participating in this program, this way it is easy to keep track
> >> of what's going on.
> >>
> >> Markus
> >>

> > I think this would create a lot of excess bug mail.  If people have
> > already adopted the packages they are mentoring, they should be getting
> > the bugmail of the mentees.  This also would not match up mentees to
> > mentors.
> >
> > Micah
> >

> I'm personally not a big fan of this "this will create a lot of
> (duplicate) mails"-argument, as your mail client should be able to
> help you handling them. And we can always configure launchpad to send
> all mails to the team ML instead of each team member.
> My point is: I think it is mandatory to find a way to track bug
> triaging activities related to the mentorship initiative to
>  1.) find out how this program is going on for an individual mentee.
>  2.) get an overall overview how successful this program is, how many
> mentees are active at a certain point, are there some common mistakes
> (maybe because of bad documentation), etc.

Well, we implemented a a way to search for all bug email generated by
anyone's bug work in the LP greasemonkey scripts. If, on the comment
title line,  you click on the Karma value -- to the right of the LP user
Id), you will open a page on gmane.org, showing the most recent bug work
for this person.

So, it is not necessary to subscribe to the same bugs the mentee has
worked on -- this will catch *all* bug work, not only those the mentee
is subscribed to.

..C..