Re: bugsquad and bugcontrol application

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:47:59 -0400
Gary Lasker <gary.lasker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> As one of the developers for Software Center during the Lucid cycle,
> I'd like to give my enthusiastic +1 for Kiwinote for bugcontrol.  I
> must say that I have very much appreciated the excellent bug work
> that Kiwinote has been doing for Software Center.  I know that
> Michael Vogt feels the same way (we've discussed our appreciation of
> Kiwinote's bug work).
>
> When he confirms bugs, he's very meticulous in insuring that he is
> confirming the exact bug reported, often updating the description
> with additional details when needed. He takes the time to include
> screenshots when it helps to clarify the problem
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/514849).  When he searches out
> duplicates, he is always insightful and detailed in his analysis (see
> bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/420524 for a great example of
> this). Another appreciated quality is that he takes the time and
> trouble to retest older bugs and close them when he confirms that
> they have been fixed in a more recent release, helping to keep the
> outstanding bug list cleaner and more accurate.
>
> In addition, when Kiwinote opens a new bug, it's always very well
> written; well thought out, researched when needed, and generally
> comes out of the box with all of the details that we need to
> understand the problem.
>
> Brian C., I appreciate your detailed analysis and concerns,
> particularly on the issue of setting importance accurately.  Maybe it
> would be helpful if I were to clarify a couple of issues:
>
>  >     5b. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/530187
>  >
>  >  I don't understand why you assigned yourself to the bug report
>  > here since Gary Lasker fixed it.
>
> Oh, I can't take the credit for this.  Kiwinote indeed fixed it, see
> his branch linked from the bug, and this line in the changelog:
>
> * merge lp:~kiwinote/software-center/bug530187, many thanks to
>      "Kiwinote" (LP: #530187)
>
>  > - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/528051
>  >  528051 - you said high, but it's only wishlist
>
> Actually, here is a case where Kiwinote's deep familiarity with
> Software Center is of such great value.  I think it's not so obvious
> when reading the bug description, but this bug is a major usability
> issue and I would not consider it "wishlist".  See the comment in the
> description "This list is very slow to load and impossible to
> browse."  This is very true, and so if not exactly "high", it's
> certainly "medium" imo as this bug "has a moderate impact on a core
> application".
>
> I'll leave off here.  It's certainly arguable that Kiwinote could
> benefit from additional review of the exact criteria in setting bug
> importances, but in my opinion his many strengths, his hard work, and
> the consistently very high quality of his bug work more than
> compensate for this. I have every confidence that he will quickly
> [...]

Given the above (and Omer's) I am revising my vote to

+0

Kiwinote -- please discuss with us (on IRC, even, if at all possible)
your questions with Importance. I will be extremely happy to be able to
change my vote to a +1. I *did* look at other bugs you worked on, and
they do look as fine examples of triage. I am at the tip of going +1...

Regards,

..C..