Re: Application to Join Ubuntu Bug Control

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 00:40 +0530, Gursimran singh wrote:

>         >
>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/591656
> Importance - Low
>
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/554980
>         >
>         > Importance - Low

These looks good , nice work.

>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/565543

One improvement here , while changing a project you could have explained
why it was being changed. Chris would not have needed to ask the
question. :)

Since you know why you are changing, always comment your findings on the
bug report, it will be easier for the maintainers of the new package to
pick it up from there. Else, they would have to start afresh.

>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/159968
>         >
>         > Importance - Low

This bug is a bit of a mess actually, someone else other than the
original reporter re-opened a bug 2yrs after it was closed.

Bugs being re-opened are always messy, this bug however seems to be the
same hardware so not much harm done here. :)

Watch out for such bugs , if the person who re-opens a bug does not have
the same hardware , close the bug and request them to open a new bug
using $ubuntu-bug <packagename>. That way it is always better.

The change to in-progress is misleading too , I would suggest that you
revert status and ask if the assignee intends to work on the bug.

>         >
>         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/462166
>         >
>         > Improtance - Low

This bug wasnt triaged by you, you seem to have been triaged ;)

> Here's another bug that I triaged
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/403585
> Importance - low
> Reason - As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware'.
>
> Although this bug is a possible duplicate of Bug
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/308191 but I will not mark it as duplicate until the I can confirm by looking some confirmation logs that it is infact the same problem.

Your initial list of bugs is a bit misleading and didnt really showcase
your good work, you could have used a better list.Others on the list
would not be familiar with you and choosing a good set of bugs is always
better.

But having watched you on #ubuntu-bugs and the documentation work, you
are doing well. Triaging synaptics is not very easy and you seem to be
doing good. While triaging those bugs it would also help if you hang out
in #ubuntu-x and discuss there too, do note response time might vary. ;)

On the whole +1 , keep up the good work and dont promise patches/fixes
too early. :)

--
Cheers,
Vish