Re: Application to Join Ubuntu Bug Control

Thanks a lot Vishnoo for reviewing.

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Vishnoo <vish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 00:40 +0530, Gursimran singh wrote:
> >
> >         >
> >         >

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/591656
> > Importance - Low
> >

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/554980
> >         >
> >         > Importance - Low
>
> These looks good , nice work.
> >

> >         >
> >         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/565543
>
> One improvement here , while changing a project you could have explained
> why it was being changed. Chris would not have needed to ask the
> question. :)
>
> Since you know why you are changing, always comment your findings on the
> bug report, it will be easier for the maintainers of the new package to
> pick it up from there. Else, they would have to start afresh.

I will take care of it from next time onwards. Due to very less people
contributing in synaptics I did not learnt such things. In fact I felt only
I was working on synaptics. This is the primary reason for writing
documentation so that other people can easily adopt such packages.

Now as the ubuntu bug control member I hope to adopt atleast one easy
desktop package with lots of people contributing in. I hope you could
suggest me one such, probably in which you may be working in. :)

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/159968
>         >
>         > Importance - Low

This bug is a bit of a mess actually, someone else other than the
> original reporter re-opened a bug 2yrs after it was closed.
>
> Bugs being re-opened are always messy, this bug however seems to be the
> same hardware so not much harm done here. :)
>
> Watch out for such bugs , if the person who re-opens a bug does not have
> the same hardware , close the bug and request them to open a new bug
> using $ubuntu-bug <packagename>. That way it is always better.
>
> The change to in-progress is misleading too , I would suggest that you
> revert status and ask if the assignee intends to work on the bug.

same as above here also.

> >         >
> >         https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/462166
> >         >
> >         > Improtance - Low
>
> This bug wasnt triaged by you, you seem to have been triaged ;)
>

> > Here's another bug that I triaged
> >
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/403585
> > Importance - low
> > Reason - As this 'affect unusual configurations or uncommon hardware'.
> >
> > Although this bug is a possible duplicate of Bug
> >
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/308191but I will not mark it as duplicate until the I can confirm by looking some
> confirmation logs that it is infact the same problem.
>
> Your initial list of bugs is a bit misleading and didnt really showcase
> your good work, you could have used a better list.Others on the list
> would not be familiar with you and choosing a good set of bugs is always
> better.
>
> But having watched you on #ubuntu-bugs and the documentation work, you
> are doing well. Triaging synaptics is not very easy and you seem to be
> doing good. While triaging those bugs it would also help if you hang out
> in #ubuntu-x and discuss there too, do note response time might vary. ;)

Now I hope I know everything, atleast of synaptics debugging. Thanks to
Mattia, Peter and  some other upstream developers who take their time on
reviewing my documentation work. This helped me to get clear even more. :)

> On the whole +1 , keep up the good work and dont promise patches/fixes
> too early. :)

I will take care of this too.