Re: Bugcontrol membership for canonical-hw-cert application

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:24:00AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 10:19 AM, Ara Pulido wrote:
> > Well, I don't think we are in the same position.
> >
> > Normally, development teams have to assign bugs to teams that are part
> > of their own, a task that can be done even without being part of Bug
> > Control.
> >
> > In our case we test machines to assign to the different development
> > teams. So testing-triaging is our main activity.
>
> Agreed. However, shouldn't members of this team go through the same
> community review process as everyone else?

One particular problem here is the lack of granularity with permissions
with regards to bugs in Launchpad.  I'd love to be able to give this
team only the ability to set bug importance and assign bugs to
canonical-platform-qa or with upstream developers only allow them to
have bug supervisor privileges for their package in Ubuntu.  However,
this isn't possible with the way permissions are currently designed in
Launchpad.

While members of the team could be run off and set a bunch of Unity bug
reports to an Opinion status; Ara and Marc, by listing themselves on the
application, are accepting responsibility for the team and its actions.

> Otherwise, we should give every desktop engineer upload access on hiring
> / assignment so they can perform their "main activity" more effectively.
> We don't, because it subverts a community process.

At this point in time we currently allow Ubuntu Developers to vouch for
someone joining Bug Control and for upstream developers to join Bug
Control.  Is this also subverting the application process?

If so do you have an idea for how we can better deal with granting teams
and upstreams bug supervisor permissions in Launchpad without creating a
lot of bureaucracy?

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray