Re: Application for the Ubuntu Bug Control team

> Hi,
>
> Following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl instructions, I would like
> to join the Ubuntu Bug Control team.

Hello, thanks for applying!

> I promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to me or
> Ubuntu. I signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and read Bugs/HowToTriage,
> Bugs/Assignment, Bugs/Status and Bugs/Importance.
>
> I should check for sensitive data before making it public: * if the crash
> still has a CoreDump.gz attachment. * if there is no Stacktrace.txt
> (retraced) attachment. * if any of stacktrace attachments (original
> stacktraces, Stacktrace.txt (retraced) and ThreadStacktrace.txt (retraced))
> have anything that looks like sensitive data passed as function arguments.
> Examples are passwords, things that look like bank account numbers, CSS keys,
> user names, server names, etc...
>
> I'm interested in helping on the bug reports related to Linaro/Ubuntu and
> ARM related packages.
>
> Here's a list of bugs which I have triaged (it isn't representative of my
> best work but representative of my latest work):

I'm just curious, what would you consider your best work? can you point to a bug
you're really proud of having triaged?

> * http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/849625 I added linaro-landing-team-ti
> affected project as it's under their scope. For Linaro Ubuntu, I assigned to
> Ricardo, Dev Platform Tech Lead, to make sure he'll pull the fix from TI
> Landing Team. Priority set to medium as it has a moderate impact. Status set
> to triaged/confirmed as it has been confirmed by someone other than the
> original reporter and has enough information to be looked by a developer. *
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/753878 I tagged "origen" to help to triage
> Linaro related bugs (see http://wiki.linaro.org/Process/Bugs/Tags for more
> information). In addition, I asked for help to Samsung Landing Team Tech lead
> as we were stuck on an issue with high priority. As a result, Usman, Samsung
> Landing Team Project Manager has assigned a resource to the bug.

Nudging bugs forward is quite helpful, but this last one is not a good showcase
of your triaging work I think.

> * http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/850983 I tagged "panda" to help to triage
> Linaro related bugs and fixed a typo. Also, I added links to the exact image
> build for reference to help the developer to reproduce the bug faster.

As above. Could you have requested an importance assignment for this bug? Also,
could you have changed the status? I notice it eventually went straight from New
to Fix Committed, which is not ideal, but also not your fault :)

> * http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/816491 I fixed the assignment, wrongly
> assigned to another Andy Green.Status set to Fix-Released according to
> comments #8 and #9 and commented for the record. Milestone updated to 11.09
> so we'll have the bug listed in Linaro Android 11.09 release:
> http://launchpad.net/linaro-android/+milestone/11.09

No comments on this one.

> * http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/850099 Michael Hope, Toolchain Working Group
> Tech Lead, has set the bug to medium priority as it is a ftbfs and a
> performance regression. I thought the bug deserved a high priority as we
> don't have a work around proposed and can't build Linaro Android kernel with
> this toolchain. Michael Hope agreed with my rationale and updated the bug
> accordingly.

Why the move from Triaged to Confirmed? I like your reasoning for the High
importance.

> Cheers,

I've followed the discussion and I'm aware of your reasons for requesting bug
control membership for Ubuntu. But even if you say that the triaging process for
Ubuntu and that for Linaro are not so different, your chosen bugs don't show any
opportunities where you could have exercised knowledge of that process, nor do
they let me see how your own criteria affect the decisions you make as part of
the process. Hence my questions as to your opinions and my request to see some
more triaging work.

I'd be +0 for now, looking at these I just couldn't make an informed decision.