Re: Application for joining Ubuntu BugControl

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 06:45:07PM +0200, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
>
> About these two bugs that were not valid in my application for
> joining the Ubuntu BugControl team, I found two great substitutes:
>
>    After selecting to view hidden and backup files, they aren't shown
>    until the window is closed
>    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus/+bug/1161412>
>
>        - I reported the bug myself, with rich detail.
>        - I forwarded it upstream.
>        - I would give it an importance of "low", since it's an
>        usability issue that does not limit the functionality of the
>        application.

While using your own bug reports in applications to the Ubuntu Bug
Control team is generally frowned upon the work of forwarding the bug is
the same and the forward (and bug watch) look good.  I think I would
give this an importance of at least Medium though as it makes it hard to
find these files.

>    xSPIM application does not start
>    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/spim/+bug/824084>
>
>        - I explained how this package dependencies where not correctly met.
>        - I confirmed the bug was still there many releases after.
>        - I tagged all the affected releases.
>        - I reported the bug was still there and not as imagined by
>        other user.
>        - I added a work-around.

What does "doesn't work in any case" mean there?

>        - I would give it an importance of "high", since prevents the
>        application from functioning at all and the work-around won't
>        always on any Ubuntu release.

Could you clarify in which releases the workaround works in the bug?

This looks good but looking in Debian for the bug report and adding a
bug watch for it would have helped too.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master