Re: Kubuntu triage policy conflicts with Ubuntu triage policy

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 18:49:50 -0400
Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/29/2014 04:51 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > The reality though, is that it does make more sense to report them
> > upstream for a few reasons: 1) They tend to be up to date with
> > upstream 2) Ubuntu doesn't change them. 3) There is a single
> > upstream place to report them to 4) Upstream seems happy with
> > taking bugs reported from Ubuntu packages.
> >
> > Now that combination is rare - taking a random package it's
> > unlikely all 4 of those are true, so it doesn't make sense for it
> > to be the general Ubuntu triage/report policy.
>
> It really doesn't make sense.  Upstream is quite happy to take bug
> reports as long as they also apply to the upstream package, which is
> why we forward them after verifying that they do, *and* continue to
> track them in Ubuntu.  Just because it also applies upstream is no
> reason to to declare the bug in ubuntu to be invalid.  We track bugs
> in Ubuntu so that people can find out what bugs are present, and so we
> can notice when it has been fixed upstream and be sure to update or
> backport the fix.
>
> > If people were to report KDE bugs into ubuntu/lp then it's just a
> > delay while someone triages it and then reports it upstream - the
> > extra comms delay doesn't help anyone.
>
> KDE is no different in this regard than any other package in Ubuntu,
> so it shouldn't have its own policy that differs from, and is not
> documented in, the Ubuntu bug triaging policy.

As far as I can remember(but I was never involved with Kubuntu
development) this was a decision taken by the Kubuntu developers some
years ago.

*Why*, I do not know (or remember). I think it may have been related to
lack of resources to triage Kubuntu bugs.

The best course is to directly ask the Kubuntu developers; if this is
not needed anymore, or it is considered by them as a moot point, then
it should be adjusted.

But we -- bug control -- cannot define how flavours other than Ubuntu
will work triaging.

..C..

--
ab alio expectes alteri quod feceris