Re: Please let Bug Control members be able to configure bug trackers

On 10/01/2015 01:22 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 1 October 2015 at 17:52, Alberto Salvia Novella
> <es20490446e@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Alan Pope:
>>> That's a project_you_  created?
>>>
>>> Why did you make it?
>>
>> Because if in a bug report you click on the "also affects project" button,
>> that can automatically show where the upstream bug tracker is.
>>
>> You can test it here, for example:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1501782>
> Yes, I've used that feature a lot. You've missed the point where I
> said the upstream isn't on launchpad. It's here on github.
>
> https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues
>
> So when you link to an upstream bug with "also affects project" you
> link to the _external_ bug tracker, not another tracker on launchpad
> which nobody is looking at.

As well, to quote dobey from #launchpad on IRC:

"ubuntu-bugcontrol is for managing bugs in ubuntu, not in upstream projects"

To that end, we on bugcontrol should never have to mess with Launchpad
projects, nor would we necessarily have to *create* projects just to
link remote bugtrackers, nor should we have to be worrying about whether
"Also affects project" works or not, because if we did that for
*everything* we'd have one project for every package, which is
unfeasible, and many don't have a home on Launchpad.  (There's always
the comments feature or a bug's description - just state "The upstream
tracker for this issue is here: [link]" instead of having to worry about
having a whole "Also affects project" thing having a corresponding
project on LP with an upstream tracker configuration).

Thomas

Thomas