ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Why now?

Does anyone ride a fixed gear bike? Recently as I have been biking
more I wanted to ask someone questions on their practicality.

Mike Rooney
mrooney@xxxxxxxxx
I don't know anybody personally who rides fixed gear, but here in Central London (I work for Canonical at its London HQ) there are a bunch of guys who like riding hardcore track bikes in commuter traffic - fixed gear, no brakes, skinny carbon aero wheels, tiny track handlebars, the whole deal. Scary.

Me, I'm a bit more soft - Raleigh mountain bike for part of my daily commute, down the leafy lanes of southern England (Kent) to the local train station. After years of driving to work it's a wake up call to my body... ;-)

Best biking injury - a few years ago I did a front flip over the handlebars when I hit a kerb too hard, and landed on my back and head. Half a dozen stitches and some gravel scraping-out...

Andrew Rodaway
Marketing Director
Canonical Ltd
+44 7768 808082