ubuntu-cyclists team mailing list archive

Re: Why now?

Hi everybody,

I stumbeld over this Launchpad-Group one or two weeks ago and simply
subscribed, without really thinking about it. Anyway, I really liked
reading all of your bike + OSS stories, so here is mine...

I rediscovered biking last november - I had been sick and was looking
for a healthier and more independent way of transportation.
Additionally, this friend of mine (who I met at our local Ubuntu group)
told me great stories about her bike tours, and so I decided to buy a
not too expensive Cross bike (Bergamont Transmission) to see whether it
would work for me. 10 months later I am totally addicted: I bike
everywhere and even did my first tour, to Copenhagen, in Denmark.

Regarding OSS, I've been using Ubuntu since 2005 (Breezy) and did some
first steps in the Linux world with Suse in 1999/2000. I work in a
(corporate) web consultancy, where I am the only free software
enthusiast - which sometimes is fun, sometimes challenging. But over the
last 8 years this "struggle" at least yielded some positive results, be
it general awareness, switching to Typo3-CMS for many projects or the
explicit permission to run my laptop with Linux only in our otherwise
MS-only infrastructure (which is actually why Bug 207072 is biting me so
bad).

Back to biking, my next plan is to get a GPS device and map some tracks
for the OpenStreetmap project, especially for the Cycle map. I recently
saw that www.gpsies.com now also uses their data - very cool.

And finally something for the hardware geeks: I met these guys at the
FrOSCon FLOSS conference in Bonn/St.Augustin, who are developing their
own Linux-based bike computer, called Open Bicycle Computer. Check out
their website, maybe it is of interest for some of you: http://www.obico.de/

Gregor