ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: translation of u-dev-manual

Hey, Kyle.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Kyle Nitzsche
<kyle.nitzsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are two paths the guide can take can take regarding translations:
>  1. A single template (pot file) and translation files (po files) for ALL
> 'chapters'
>  2. Chapter-specific templates/translation files

The Ubuntu Manual Project has been generating a single .pot file for
the entire manual—that is, we're not generating multiple .pot files on
a chapter-by-chapter basis.

> However, I am having trouble creating a single consolidated pot file (from
> the generated main.tex file with 'po4a -f tex -m main.tex -p
> trialballon.pot'), possibly because it contains latex include statements
> that po4a doesn't understand || user error. (Yes, I can create per chapter
> pot files... sometimes.)
>
> So REVISED QUESTION:
>  * is MAGIC SAUCE or are SPECIAL INCANTATIONS involved here?

The magic incantation that I use to generate the .pot file for the
Ubuntu Manual is:

  po4a -v --no-translations --copyright-holder "The Ubuntu Manual
Team" --package-name ubuntu-manual --package-version `bzr revno`
po4a.conf

I've attached a copy of our po4a.conf file.  (I probably need to add
more of our custom commands/environments.)

> ALSO:
> Why does \begin{itemize} BREAK po4a--gettextize, as in:
> $ po4a-gettextize -f tex -m introduction/intro.tex -p po/t1.pot
> introduction/intro.tex:15: (po4a::tex)
>               unknown environment: 'itemize'
>
> Is this syntax for an itemize list specific to ubuntu manual and our project
> would need some template file or something?

The itemize environment is a standard LaTeX environment.

> LASTLY:
>  * Has anyone succeeded in building a localized version of the pdf with
> dummy/sample translations yet?

I haven't tried.

--Kevin