ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Moving to docbook markup

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 10:58 -0500, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
> Some quick thoughts on Screenshots.
>
> One issue is visual consistency.
>   * Authors may have different themes and take shots at different DPI. So they
> don't look consistent.
>   * As I understand it, ubuntu manual team developed quick shots which does
> this: creates a user with standard theme, sets DPI. Person then takes shots that
> are needed for the given locale.
>   * the list of missing screenshots in ub-manual is auto generated based on
> different source 'tags'.
>
> In my option, this sounds great but it should not remove from authors the
> requirement of taking initial screenshots: they should NOT leave them blank
> since this creates a broken book right off the bat with missing images. Also,
> there should never be any missing screenshots and authors shouldn't need to
> modify source tags.
Oh, oops. I thought I was supposed to hold off on taking screenshots. I
usually use a lot of screenshots for my content, so I'd prefer not to
have to redo the work more than I absolutely have to.

> It may be reasonable to work towards a dual approaches later. leverage quick
> shots for visually consistent screenshots. But for now, authors should add their
> own screen shots. We should have simple and clear instructions; Set your system
> to XYZ theme. Screenshots at XYZ DPI.
>
> Another issue is where do the actual images live.
>   * in the same branch as the content? All locales? this makes the content
> branch unnecessary large and slow to download.
>   * one option is separate author images branches: draft-images that authors
> must put shots into. It is next to the project branch on the system. the build
> system looks there for images, but in a fall-back: first look in images-<locale>
> sibling branch, if not found, fall back to images-en, if not found, fall back to
> author branch: images-draft. I can implement this in doctemplate easily as needed.

So if I take preliminary screenshots, how do I include them with changes
for now?

Cheers, Rick