[Question #43800]: problem installing ubuntu on asus eee pc1000

Trying to install Ubuntu on an ASUS eee pc1000. Used ubuntu-eee-804.iso from this site, copied to USB stick using unetbootin. Set as boot disc on PC1000, but boot unsuccessful. Immediately a message "could not find kernel image : linux", and no further progress. I modified some file and directory names on USB stick following instructions from ADAM Mc (isolinux to syslinux) but this made no difference to unsuccessful boot. I also tried to install Ubuntu and Open-Source GIS software from OSGEO-edu-2008.iso produced by the Open Source GIS group in Southern Africa. This is Ubuntu, probably earlier than 8.04, not optimised for eee platforms. Installation appeared to proceed well, with a XUBUNTU logo and progress bars. Finally a message about low memory flashed on the screen, followed by unformatted text and the install seemed to crash. I purchased the eeepc1000 to be an untra-portable open-source GIS demonstrator. The main GIS software (QGIS and GRASS) supports Ubuntu Gutsy and Hardy, so if I can install one of these optimised for eee first, this would probably the best way to go. The generic Ubuntu package may have problems with some of the eee device drivers. Any suggestions and assistance gratefully received.